Struggling with symptoms

KS1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, I’m new to here and also diabetes. Been on metformin for 4 months now. Believe I am controlling my blood sugars well with the help of a CGM but have many aches and pains that everyone says are due to diabetes. Numbness in side of ankle, pain in head behind ear. Does anyone know if this is normal?
Thanks for any help. I think I’m allowing my stress to make these symptoms worse!

Were you told the result of your HbA1c @KS1 ?

This is a measure of your glucose levels over the past 3-4 months, and can help you understand how far into the diabetes zone you are at diagnosis.

Diabetes is generally a slow-moving foe, and long-term complications such as nerve damage (neuropathy) can take years to develop.

If you have rapidly improves glucose levels from consistently high levels down to being mostly in-range over a short time-period, there can be a temporary triggering of nerve pain (treatment induced neuropathy), but this generally occurs with insulin therapy and long-standing T2D.

Pain in the head behind the ear isn’t something I see mentioned by others on the forum.

Wonder if the Metformin is affecting Vit D or Vit B 12 levels? Low levels of both those can cause muscle aches and pains, I am demented with leg/ hip muscle aches and my Vit B12 is half what it was when I started meds.

Thanks for your replies. HbA1c was 53 but they haven’t checked since I started metformin. I don’t have great doctors but need to get back to them as it could be down to vitamin deficiency.

Thanks for your replies. HbA1c was 53 but they haven’t checked since I started metformin. I don’t have great doctors but need to get back to them as it could be down to vitamin deficiency.
They often won’t retest HbA1c for at least three months. That is because it is a measure of the average glucose in your blood over three months so any changes that have happened, but to meds or to changes that you have made will not be evident for three months.

You mention that you are using your sensor to control your glucose levels. The sensors give us a large amount of data about our levels throughout the day and can be so helpful informing decisions about changes that we make. What steps have you found helpful so far in reducing your glucose levels?

There is a wealth of experience to tap into on here. Any questions that arise. Just ask.

Back