Struggling with my T1 diabetes mentally and looking for ideas to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverJones

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
I’ve had T1 for 7 years and I’m now currently 21 and for the last year or so I’ve been struggling to keep up with it. I miss injections regularly, miss Libre scans and seem to constantly be high. Also experienced DKA last year. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to help get back on top of it and if anyone else can relate to this at all

Thank you

Hi @OliverJones You’ve taken a huge positive step in joining the forum and reaching out.
I’m t2 so can’t advise anything relevant but be patient and some of the t1’s will be along soon I’m sure.

Can you tell us more about how you try and manage things currently as that might prompt some advice or suggestions from others?

Welcome @OliverJones 🙂 Sorry to hear you’re struggling. Type 1 can be very wearing and lead to burnout.

I’ve suffered burnout and I found lowering my expectations helped. I relaxed my control ever so slightly, and that relieved some of the pressure. A small change but a big effect. I also chose easy meal options where I knew the carbs so there was no counting or worry. I took one day at a time; made sure to not dwell on ‘bad’ results; and reminded myself that I’m not alone ( this forum is great for that).

What insulins are you taking? Is there any external reason that caused the burnout, eg stress, work, etc? Did the DKA come before of after the burnout?

I’d start by getting the basics back on track. Don’t skip injections and do monitor your blood sugar frequently. After that, I’d look to improve the highs. Are you carb counting and injecting the appropriate amount of bolus/fast insulin?

Welcome, sorry you are struggling.

If your levels are high and unstable then you will feel rubbish physically and mentally so stable levels will make you feel better.
Start with small goals. Which libre are you on? Is it libre 2? As that only needs scanning every 8 hours and you can choose to set up alarm at your own range. And I found that helps me, less need to scan does help mentally.

It’s about small changes in your overall goals so focus on a meal or a certain time and work that out.

Do you have a DSN? Worth their weight in gold, I can text or email mine between appointments which really helps me.
Take care.
We are here for you

Hi. Yes, do let us know what insulins you use and whether you count the carbs for your Bolus at mealtimes. Until you have a better handle on your blood sugar do keep control of your carbs as I have to. You mention Libre scanning. With the new software released last year you no longer need to scan - just keep your phone/reader near you and it will update every minute via Bluetooth.

Welcome to the forum @OliverJones

I think many of us who have lived with diabetes for any length of time will have experienced periods where it all seemed too much.

Diabetes can involve emotions and reactions very similar to grieving - and periods of ‘denial’ ‘depression’ and feeling so overwhelmed with the daily requirements that it feels impossible to manage can happen from time to time (and like grief, can happen many years after the event itself).

I think the suggestions of making sure the basics are covered are really helpful. Plus trying to be kind to yourself and realise that sometimes ‘just enough’ is enough. Keeping yourself well, and keeping yourself safe are the important things. Then trying to improve outcomes and reduce long-term risks as you feel more able to again.

One member @SB2015 experienced a period of burnout, and wrote about some of the strategies that helped her here:

Hi @OliverJones . I am sorry to hear that you are finding things difficult at present.

If you are happy to tell us what insulins you are using and other stuff you have available to you such as a sensor (Libre / Dexcom). This will help us to tailor our responses to any practical questions you have.

It is not unusual for us to have periods when the day to day management gets on top of us. My difficulties came from setting myself totally unrealistic expectations of myself. It took me time to ask for help and to seek out support, after much encouragement from others on here. I hope that some of the strategies that I have used (see above) may prove useful. Do come back with any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back