Struggling with my control in the heat .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matchless

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am not having a good time with my control this last month here in france ,i have 3 possible reasons for lack of control i have just changed from medronic 640 to ypsopmed pump also FSL 2 is sometimes giving abnormal readings rising and dropping and rising erratically 20mg/dl at a time which is probably the heat as it does when i have a shower which always settles after about 15 mins but when i wake in the morning it goes crazy ,I am not going for my normal 3k walk as its around 36deg outside ,over the years i do adjust my basal for the warmer months , I just thought some others might be having similar problems .

As you changed pumps did you do a basal test?
Yes weather does cause major issues with control and basically we all have o fire fight so to speak.
First port of call though is do a basal check

No not yet as it can take ages as you know each time you have do correction if your sugar is high or low ,I have got night time quite good with small adjustments but I think heat is giving the fsl a hard time as I am doing finger stick checks Wich does show errors with the sensor at different times of the day ,I may go back to my medtronic for a few days to verify if it's the pump or not.

I had a nasty hypo yesterday solely due to the heat. My bolus seemed to be absorbed really fast and my blood sugar dropped like a stone. I was frightened. Then, it went higher later. Not because I’d over-treated it, but like the insulin had all worked in those early minutes and was now gone.

I had a nasty hypo yesterday solely due to the heat. My bolus seemed to be absorbed really fast and my blood sugar dropped like a stone. I was frightened. Then, it went higher later. Not because I’d over-treated it, but like the insulin had all worked in those early minutes and was now gone.
Yes you can so easily over correct and end up yoyoing when it drops like brick .

Yes you can so easily over correct and end up yoyoing when it drops like brick .

I was afraid that might happen so I only took half a unit correction and spent the night in the high 8s. Better than having another awful hypo - it hit me like a truck. So, today I’ve been running slightly higher than usual. I still had a hypo after lunch but it was a normal one. I think running a little high has helped today. For my evening meal, I might under-bolus slightly and even split my bolus, some before, some after.

I adjusted my basal down in the spring but the last few days it seems like the heat is stressing my body and I have had to put my basal back up. I am not sleeping soundly which is normally responsible for bringing my levels down nicely. I am now needing the same amount of basal insulin as I do in the winter and may have to up it a little more as I am still needing corrections. It seems there is a happy medium for my body with warm weather which it seems we have exceeded! I am also less active because I am hiding in the house out of the heat more.

Are on novorapid or fiasp.
If you are swapping them about in your pump then it's no wonder you have problems as profile of both insulins completely different.

I adjusted my basal down in the spring but the last few days it seems like the heat is stressing my body and I have had to put my basal back up. I am not sleeping soundly which is normally responsible for bringing my levels down nicely. I am now needing the same amount of basal insulin as I do in the winter and may have to up it a little more as I am still needing corrections. It seems there is a happy medium for my body with warm weather which it seems we have exceeded! I am also less active because I am hiding in the house out of the heat more.
I normally raise my basal in the colder months and reduce it in the summer , i seem to be having more problems with FSL 2 than i had with first libre using Miao Miao and xdrip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back