Struggling with increased Metformin dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia Gale

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been taking Metformin for a couple of years, two 500mg slow release in the morning. It took me a while of slowly increasing to be able to take that but then I was fine.

After my symptoms got worse, my consultant asked me to increase to three tablets. I thought as my body was used to Metformin I would be fine, but I feel like I've been hit by a truck after just increasing by half a tablet at night. I found previously that by splitting the dose I could take it.

Has anyone else had this issue when increasing dosage and does it take long to adjust?

Hi. A few people cannot tolerate even Metformin SR. You may be one of those and if it doesn't resolve itself you may have to agree with the GP to stop it. It never has that much effect on BS anyway so not a major problem if you need to stop.

Hi. A few people cannot tolerate even Metformin SR. You may be one of those and if it doesn't resolve itself you may have to agree with the GP to stop it. It never has that much effect on BS anyway so not a major problem if you need to stop.
Thank you for the advice Dave. I've been taking two a day absolutely fine so I'll stick on that and see my GP for more advice. I think my body seems to have reached its maximum tolerance.

Could the worsening symptoms be the result of a need for fewer carbs rather than more Metformin?
I took Metformin for only a few weeks, but the result of stopping was not discernable in my readings and the only reaction was me feeling better. I was eating low carb, and that seems to have sorted everything, so I am quite glad in a way that Metformin made me feel so bad.

Could the worsening symptoms be the result of a need for fewer carbs rather than more Metformin?
I took Metformin for only a few weeks, but the result of stopping was not discernable in my readings and the only reaction was me feeling better. I was eating low carb, and that seems to have sorted everything, so I am quite glad in a way that Metformin made me feel so bad.
Hi Drummer, I am on a low carb diet and two metformin seemed to make me feel much better. It's just the third I can't take. I think I'll stick to two for now and keep on the low carbs. Glad to hear you're so active!

Apparently some people who are fine on 1g/day of Metformin struggle when it is increased. My GP mentioned this when he was explaining why I was moved to SR when they upped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back