Struggling with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma graham

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, My name is emma and I have only just registered with this site today. I have been a diabetic for nine years now and it has been a roller coaster of emotions. For the first five years I was obsessed with doing everything right, I only ate really healthy food, no bad food ever and I become a daily gym user. In fact I become so obsessed that I developed an eating disorder and had to attend regular counselling sessions. I still battle with an eating disorder only now I am a regular binge eater, I no longer go to the gym and I find myself being really depressed about being a diabetic. Don't get me wrong I have my good times but I still get regular bad times too!. I can't believe I am still struggling with living with diabetes after nine years, am I the only one to find it such a struggle???? Emma

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum🙂 I can't speak personally, because I have less than two years experience, but I know others here have gone through similar problems. Your lif changes as you get older, and living with a chronic disease all that time is something that can seem to become a burden. But don't beat yourself up about losing your good habits, you can only change things from now on. You know what it takes as you were doing so well before, so try and work out what it really is that you are now finding difficult to deal with - that might help you to get things back on track.

Feel free to have a good old moan and rant if you wish, you'll find lots of support and empathy🙂

Hi Emma,

You're never the only one when it comes to struggling with diabetes. I myself have had it for fourteen years and I still struggle from time to time. The best way I find to deal with it is to talk to people. I'm a plain lazy student who likes a good munch. The weight gain is building up and I need to get onto the exercise... This will be painful... Big hugs to you and feel free to add me on MSN, just send me a PM if you want to talk.

Tom

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum nice to meet you , firstly sorry your feeling down and struggling many of us infact i bet all of us feel the way you do right now struggling and striving to look after ourself the best we can, sometimes feeling like its getting us no where or like you say you become so obsessed you get a eating disorder i cant relate to that but it must of been very hard for you and i congratulate you that you are in this place talking about it i bet it is not easy to talk about, do you have a close family who you talk to? do you have a good care team? I see you recently moved are you happy with the care your getting over in Irleand?

Hi Emma, sorry you are feeling down. I was diagnosed just before Easter 2006, so the timing from my point of view was awfull.

Everyone struggles with it, diabetes is a chronic long term thing, and we all hate it to some degree. You have come to the right place for friendship and support, I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum.

Welcome Emma, Your in the wright place for moral support and lots of help, since i found this site i have had so many things answered i never knew.

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum nice to meet you , firstly sorry your feeling down and struggling many of us infact i bet all of us feel the way you do right now struggling and striving to look after ourself the best we can, sometimes feeling like its getting us no where or like you say you become so obsessed you get a eating disorder i cant relate to that but it must of been very hard for you and i congratulate you that you are in this place talking about it i bet it is not easy to talk about, do you have a close family who you talk to? do you have a good care team? I see you recently moved are you happy with the care your getting over in Irleand?
Hi, thank you all for the supportive messages I received yesterday, I am feeling more positive and less isolated about my situation. I have an appt with my new diabetic nurse next week, so hopefully she will give me a must needed boot up the bum to sort myself out. I moved over to Newry in August to live with my Fiance, I am trying to build up a new life here, I have got a new job, I just need a hobbie where I can meet new friends and build up a good social network, has anyone got any ideas??? emma

Hi, thank you all for the supportive messages I received yesterday, I am feeling more positive and less isolated about my situation. I have an appt with my new diabetic nurse next week, so hopefully she will give me a must needed boot up the bum to sort myself out. I moved over to Newry in August to live with my Fiance, I am trying to build up a new life here, I have got a new job, I just need a hobbie where I can meet new friends and build up a good social network, has anyone got any ideas??? emma

Hi emma do you have facebook? a few on here are on that site and do you know of any diabetes support groups near you that you could attend x

Why not try and find something that combines getting active and being social? What activity takes your interest? I do a ballroom dancing class and it's amazingly good fun, and I've made lots of new friends through it. Or something strange like rock climbing - possibilities go on forever. What interests you? 🙂

Hi Emma and welcome. Glad to hear you are feeling more positive already. Your idea to m build up a social network sounds like a good plan and I thought sacredheart's suggestion was a really good one - good luck and let us know how you get on - we might be inspired to do something too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back