Struggling Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisha66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in 2016 with type 2 diabetes. I have recently been diagnosed with a bacterial infection and my BG is all over the place. My fasting level this morning was 11.5. I had a slice of toast about 9 and BG at 11 was 10 . At the moment I'm very rarely in single figures. I'm currently taking penicillin for the infection and take 500mg x 4 of Metformin. Could you please give me some advice on what I can do to help reduce my BG levels . Sorry for the long winded post.

Hi Trisha, sorry your'e not feeling great infections can be a pain on your BG levels, I was told to make sure you drink plenty of water so you are properly hydrated and eat little and often.

Infection is a recognised reason for blood glucose to be raised but hopefully the antibiotics will knock it on the head.
Making sure you drink plenty and be even more vigilant with your carbohydrate intake.
The fact that you had toast for breakfast maybe suggests that your diet is not too suitable anyway. What sort of blood glucose levels were you getting before your infection.
It might be an opportunity to review your dietary regime as your carb intake could be too high for your body to tolerate.
A carb intake of less than 130g per day is suggested as a starting point for managing good blood glucose levels though some people do go lower than that

Hi Trisha, sorry your'e not feeling great infections can be a pain on your BG levels, I was told to make sure you drink plenty of water so you are properly hydrated and eat little and often.
Thank you. I'll try to drink more water .Don't feel like eating at the moment but just had an omelette so hopefully my BG levels will start to come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back