Struggling to lose weight

Katie_P34

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello guys, looking for help please. So I have recently been diagnosed a diabetic initially I was told on the 28th May I was a type 2 started on metformin and glycazide (severe side effects) then on the 24th June I was diagnosed as Type 1.5 LADA. And started in insulin (lanctus in the evening and novarapid with meals). I have really really tried to lose weight since they called me in the 28th May. I have changed my diet completly stopped snacking on the things I love stopped takeaways joined a gym etc. I have even tried reducing my calories to 1300 a day.
This has had no effect. My stomach is bigger than ever, I feel constantly bloated and it's now becoming painful when I inject. When I talk to people they just stare at my stomach cos I look like I'm 6months pregnant. Irs really getting me down. When I was first out in the metformin I was losing weight but I put that down to the severe diorhea.
Is it the insulin is it making me fatter? Am I having to much as my pancreas is still producing but not enough to help with high blood sugars. I really need help. It's affecting me mentally and physically, I don't change infront of my husband anymore it's affecting our relationship.

Insulin doesn’t make you fat @Katie_P34 I’ve been taking it for more than 30 years and am slim. Could you have some insulin resistance? Can you explain a little about your insulin doses? Are you carb counting and adjusting your Novorapid? Do you have PCOS or anything similar? Do you only inject in your stomach? Do you have a lot of hypos?

Insulin doesn’t make you fat @Katie_P34 I’ve been taking it for more than 30 years and am slim. Could you have some insulin resistance? Can you explain a little about your insulin doses? Are you carb counting and adjusting your Novorapid? Do you have PCOS or anything similar? Do you only inject in your stomach? Do you have a lot of hypos?
I know people say insulin can't make you fat but is there a possibility? My pancreas is still producing and I'm also injecting and it's a growth hormone. Im just hearing so much different stuff it's just hard to understand why I'm struggling so much to lose weight.
I'm on 16 units of lanctus of an evening, and I'm on novarapid for meals, I'm carb counting so I inject to that 10g of carbs to 1 unit. I go no-more than 60g of carbs. I'm calorie and carb counting using the carbs and calls app.
As far as I know no I don't have pcos. I do only inject in my stomach but I feel really bloated after injecting recently. I have about 2-3 hypos a week. Generally after I've exercised or I've been rushing around after the kids.

Insulin doesn’t make you fat. If it did, we’d all be fat, diabetic or not. All you’re doing is replacing the insulin your body no longer makes. This is a nasty myth spread around.

Is it just your stomach that’s bloated or are you overweight? Sorry to ask, but I’m trying to understand. You can use your thighs and bum for injecting aswell as your stomach. It’s not a good idea to inject in only one body area as it can cause skin changes over time.

If you lost weight prior to diagnosis, your body will be desperate to regain that weight. What it normally does is put back a little bit extra weight because it’s under the impression there’s been a really bad period of famine (when you weren’t making enough insulin to use your food). This settles over a few months.

Insulin can also cause your body to retain fluids, which might explain the bloating. It might be worth mentioning that to your doctor too
I’d never heard of that, so I had a quick Google, and yes, apparently it can, especially when you first start insulin, and if your glucose levels reduce rapidly. It is rare, but more likely if you’re taking Insulin Glargine, which includes Lantus, @Katie_P34 , so it's worth mentioning to your doctor,( but don’t expect them to have heard of it!)

Hello guys, looking for help please. So I have recently been diagnosed a diabetic initially I was told on the 28th May I was a type 2 started on metformin and glycazide (severe side effects) then on the 24th June I was diagnosed as Type 1.5 LADA. And started in insulin (lanctus in the evening and novarapid with meals). I have really really tried to lose weight since they called me in the 28th May. I have changed my diet completly stopped snacking on the things I love stopped takeaways joined a gym etc. I have even tried reducing my calories to 1300 a day.
This has had no effect. My stomach is bigger than ever, I feel constantly bloated and it's now becoming painful when I inject. When I talk to people they just stare at my stomach cos I look like I'm 6months pregnant. Irs really getting me down. When I was first out in the metformin I was losing weight but I put that down to the severe diorhea.
Is it the insulin is it making me fatter? Am I having to much as my pancreas is still producing but not enough to help with high blood sugars. I really need help. It's affecting me mentally and physically, I don't change infront of my husband anymore it's affecting our relationship.
If you take normal sugar try swapping it for glucose powder.. much better for you a battles 3kg is around £14.. not as sweet so don't be tempted to use more 😉 good for baking your own too.. don't have smoothie drinks it bypasses your digestion. Low keto if you can afford it.. going carnivore for me worked wonders.. and if low sugar a lil bit of glucose powder.. I'd also recommend you try researching leptin and ghrelin.. to understand how we store fats and use glucagon chains... liver dumps.. etc.. its a science but it won't take you long.. your health care workers won't tell you .. knowledge is power.. if your interested I fan recommended a couple of books to get you started.. its all about your metabolism😉

I hates my stomach too. People have been asking me when it's due since I was 14! 😱

The last time I was asked I think I was in my 50s so I felt quite flattered. I'd been a nun for years, nun of this and nun of that. :D

My only solution is low carb. It's the only thing that works for me.

Hi @katie only just seen your post, are you still taking the Glicazide since you moved onto Insulin ?

Back