struggling this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spangle0581

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So today is my birthday . I was driving home from dropping my boys at school and think i may have blacked out really quickly. I didnt have any symptoms so was a shock as you can imagine
I have struggled this week and reached for the chocolate too much - I know I shouldnt but just having one of those weeks . I just need a bit of guidance please from you great people . thanks for listening xx

What do you need guidance with? And more to the point do you mean you crashed the car? and are you OK?

So today is my birthday . I was driving home from dropping my boys at school and think i may have blacked out really quickly. I didnt have any symptoms so was a shock as you can imagine
I have struggled this week and reached for the chocolate too much - I know I shouldnt but just having one of those weeks . I just need a bit of guidance please from you great people . thanks for listening xx

Don’t worry about the chocolate for now - importantly, what do you mean when you say you blacked out? That sounds very worrying and I’m not surprised you’re stressed.

Can you give a little more detail? Are you on any diabetes meds or other meds that could have caused this? How long did you black out for?

Definitely don’t drive again until you figure out what caused this. I hope you’re ok.

@Spangle0581 I see you’re on blood pressure meds. I’d contact your doctor asap in case they’re involved and your dose needs changing.

Last edited:
What do you need guidance with? And more to the point do you mean you crashed the car? and are you OK?
Hi . Luckily i didnt crash the car - i think i may of put my foot on the accelarator instead of the brake . I am unsure as I suffer from anxiety and it could of been that which caused it

Don’t worry about the chocolate for now - importantly, what do you mean when you say you blacked out? That sounds very worrying and I’m not surprised you’re stressed.

Can you give a little more detail? Are you on any diabetes meds or other meds that could have caused this? How long did you black out for?

Definitely don’t drive again until you figure out what caused this. I hope you’re ok.
Hi .I am on metformin twice a day , statin and blood pressure tabs. I am ok - i suffer from high anxiety which doesnt help . thanks for listening x

Hi .I am on metformin twice a day , statin and blood pressure tabs. I am ok - i suffer from high anxiety which doesnt help . thanks for listening x

Sorry to hear about the anxiety. I think if this isn’t a usual experience for you (blacking out) it could be some other cause. Or, if your anxiety is so bad it can make that happen, then I’d think you need some extra support. I don’t take BP tablets but I would think that if your BP dropped too low you could feel faint.

There are, of course, other possibilities, so a check-up with your doctor seems sensible.

You shouldn’t drive until you’ve got the all-clear from your doctor. It’s not worth the risk to yourself - or others. Pressing the accelerator rather than the brake or/and blacking out briefly could have had a very bad outcome.

Yikes! Sounds very scary for you @Spangle0581

Very many happy returns for your birthday. Hope you have been able to enjoy the day despite your anxiety and worries.

You should definitely get assessed by your GP and ask if you are still OK to drive, this page says your Dr will be able to tell is any blackouts you have had affect your ability to drive.

Please also consider calling the Diabetes UK helpline on Monday - 0345 123 2399 (Mon-Fri 9-6) who will be able to discuss your worries with you and give you some advice.

Last edited:
I won't wish you a happy birthday @Spangle0581 as it sounds like you are not in a celebratory mood. I hope things get better for you soon x

Anxiety is then pits and school runs I find particularly tough. The mornings can be such a flap, especially when your feeling the effects of blood sugar rises which always time with school runs. Then the kids disappear through the gates and your left with your thoughts. Please don’t beat yourself up. Non of us are perfect and striving to be just leads to more anxiety. Your doing your best… happy birthday xx

Anxiety is then pits and school runs I find particularly tough. The mornings can be such a flap, especially when your feeling the effects of blood sugar rises which always time with school runs. Then the kids disappear through the gates and your left with your thoughts. Please don’t beat yourself up. Non of us are perfect and striving to be just leads to more anxiety. Your doing your best… happy birthday xx
Thx so much Emma - trying to be superwoman isnt easy 🙂 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back