strike the spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

I thought I would start another thread detailing experiments that we are trying for lessening the post meal spikes.

Last night it was fish and chips - normally hard to get right.😱

2 x fish and 1 portion of chips.
carbs = 115

pre meal level = 5

bolus 15 minutes before eating.(FFL tip).
dual wave of 50/50 for 3 hours.
set temporary basal of 130% for 3 hours for fat content.(FFL tip).

1.5 hours after bolusing = level 6.9 (FFL tip to test at this time instead of 2 hours)

2 hours after = 3.3

5 hours after = 5.2

I think I should have done a different dual wave of 40/60 and this may have stopped the 3.3.

Alex's graph showed almost a straight line after eating - no spike at all and we are finding this happens a lot since doing these experiments.🙂Bev

A succesful test I would I say.........well done...........

When you refer to the dual wave 50/50, does that mean half the dose is being given over the 3 hours? And the other half 15 mins before eating..?

A succesful test I would I say.........well done...........

When you refer to the dual wave 50/50, does that mean half the dose is being given over the 3 hours? And the other half 15 mins before eating..?

HI,
Yes thats exactly it. You can choose whatever % and choose however many hours suit you best on the pump. I think you can spread it over 8 or more hours - but not sure most people would need it this length of time.🙂

You could try to do this on injections - but the closest you could do it is to give 50% up front 15 minutes before and then have another injection at the time the food peaks for you. (well not at the time it peaks - you need to do it well in advance of it peaking)🙂Bev

I kind of do something similar.............if my meal is in excess of 15 units, after corrections and ratios, then I take 75 % before the meal and 25% when I am finished..........so far it works most of the time with my highest level never more than 11 at the 1.5-2 hour mark...............

Cheers for the info..............

Congrats on the successful experiment.

The combo of higher basal and dual wave is intriguing, especially since they were both set over 3 hours. Now I'm a non-pumper with no hands on experience but it sounds like extra basal over 3 hours and dual wave over 3 hours would be the same as higher bolus over 3 hours with unchanged basal (since the same insulin is being used). Would be interesting to see what would have happened without the basal change.

Congrats on the successful experiment.

The combo of higher basal and dual wave is intriguing, especially since they were both set over 3 hours. Now I'm a non-pumper with no hands on experience but it sounds like extra basal over 3 hours and dual wave over 3 hours would be the same as higher bolus over 3 hours with unchanged basal (since the same insulin is being used). Would be interesting to see what would have happened without the basal change.

I thought the same as you and lots of people at the FFL did question Gary Shneider about this. He said he had done lots of experiments just increasing the bolus and didnt get anywhere near as good results as when he also increased the basal. I wonder if its because the basal pulses out more times per minute than how the bolus works? Anyway, for whatever reason, it really is a much better method to use the basal as a back up for the fat content.🙂Bev

thats interesting about the basal Bev. Are you sayiong for anything high fat you will put on a temp basal for the length of the dual wave then?

do you still bolus the full amount also? I think i would like to try this but want to get it right in my head first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back