Strictly!

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
As promised a Strictly thread. I have only caught up with the opening show and loved it. I think they’ve done a great job in getting around the Covid problem. I like everyone, although I don’t know them all, but I’m sure I will grow to know them. Bill Bailey looks like he’ll be good fun. Caroline Quentin and Jaquie Smith are representing my age group, go girls. HRVY? and the young girl from Eastenders will appeal to the youngsters I’m sure. JJ looks like a good sport. Going to watch last nights episode this afternoon, can’t wait!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don’t recognise many of the celebrities but still watching how they develop through the weeks.
They have done brilliantly on managing to get the show back on, and the dances yesterday were amazing. From the group dance last week I had some idea of who I thought would struggle but some of them really surprised me. Looking forward to next week.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I’ve caught up! They were all great for the first week. Thought Bill Bailey was so funny but did have rhythm. Caroline was so graceful. Was disappointed with Jason, I thought he would have been better, sports persons usually do well. Liked Nicola’s quick step, hard dance for a first show. But must admit HRVY ( granddaughter watched it and knew who he was from Tik Tok) was fantastic but I like to root for the underdogs as I like to see their progress as the show goes on. Roll on next week.

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought HRVY was amazing, a jive for the first dance - wow!! Loved Caroline, thought she was great, beautiful hands and arms and really landed each move. Thought the girl from Eastenders was also very good, Samba, another really difficult dance. For the first show it was really good and think there will be some great dances to come.
Claudia looked great in that dress and thankfully has had her fringe cut, phew!!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I thought exactly the same as you about Claudia - I really loved her in that dress, thought it suited her which hitherto I haven't felt about her outfits - more like they were deliberately trying to not appear as glamorous as Tess rather than her equal.

So far ..... Jackie Smith didn't surprise me, sorry but can't somehow see her becoming a graceful swan. Not helped by her smiling mouth being oblong. I've never been graceful in my life entirely unlike Caroline Quentin - said to Pete as they went to the stairs from the judges, she was tripping along effortlessly on the balls of her feet on springs. She is a dancer. Thought Jamie Laing was fairly poor TBH - but there again, week 1. Thought a Pasa Doble in week 1 was a big ask, and JJ turned out far better than expected. Think if Bill can manage a bit more grace - (wonder if there's something actually up with the knees, physically preventing him locking his legs straight in which case costume dept will have to design his trousers to not accentuate that) and he'll constantly lose points. His excellent rhythm was no surprise - no way he could have had the career he's had without it.

Looking forward to whatever the series gives us.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Don't have any particular strong feelings about any of them. I watch the recorded programme and fast forward the padding bits.

Chris Hobson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I follow a blogger who is a motorcycle training instructor. He often encounters trainees that he terms the GNIs, or God never intended. These are students who are so incredibly inept that he knows that they will never qualify for a full motorcycle licence. Most seasons of SCD have featured their own GNIs, Anne Widdecombe being the most obvious example. This time around there aren't any. Every one of this season's newcomers has shown potential.

The guy who misses all of the vowels out of his name was excellent. But seriously, that is your gimmick? It is about as lame as that eighties boy band who wore their Jean's back to front. From now on I shall be known as Chrstpher Hbsn, aren't I cool?

Lizzzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having only really seen Caroline Quentin on Jonathan Creek, was well surprised by her girliness, un-sarcastic excitement an and overall loveliness. I must be getting old - am rooting for her to do well - but actually want Nicola Adams to win overall because she's doing something awesome, sticking to her guns to get a same-sex partner (it must be so hard to say no to being on strictly). I'm almost sad that some of the sexy young soap (or whatever) stars are so talented, but they do seem talented, so good luck to them too.....

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes - I'll be voting for Caroline as well. such a great role model for more 'mature' ladies!

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I’ve caught up just before tonight’s show. They were all very good. Especially Bill, who would have thought he would be so light on his feet? The Vowelless One was also good again. Unfortunately I really wanted to like Jason but he’s just dad dancing really isn’t he? Caroline is amazing, she’s the same age as me but there’s no way I could do what she does, I baked yesterday and after 10 minutes folding and whisking my shoulders were good for nothing, I can only dance with my arms by my side! Hmm... maybe I should try Irish dancing? Tonight I predict Jason and Jacqui in the dance off. I’ll probably be wrong! :)

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
OMG I love Strictly. My very unprofessional comments, just caught up.
Maisie, great dancing but can’t help but concentrate on her short legs, sorry.
HRVY, looked like a ventriloquists dummy but great dancing.
Nicola, lovely smile, great boxer but not my cup of tea at all, don’t like the same sex scenario, don’t know why, I live in Brighton, most of the population are in same sex relationships, which doesn’t bother me in the least. Doesn’t help as Katya is my least favourite female dancer.
Ranvir - ok
Caroline, love her. Needed more oomph and drama buT beautiful, arms, hands and expression, really hope she does well.
Bill was great
Max is gorgeous and, considering his nerves, did really well, he is definitely going to be brilliant if he can overcome his nerves,
JJ, what a man. Good on him. He is doing brilliantly, am cheering him on.
Clara, good but doesn’t excite me in any way.
Jason (I had a cat called Jason), love his enthusiasm and his obvious enjoyment. Wonderful smile though no hips that were visible.
Jamie, oh dear he’s no Kelvin is he, think he may be in the bottom two.
Jacque, I feel really uncomfortable watching her though she is obviously trying really hard and I do commend her for that, definitely bottom 2 and first off I think.
Well those are my scathing points for the day and as an armchair critic I’m allowed lol.
Just one other point, what were the producers thinking allowing Shirley to go on air looking like a tramp, cover up lady and have a bit of class :eek:

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I agree about Shirley’s dress on the Saturday show. Must admit I didn’t think “tramp” but more “ put them away woman!” :eek:

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I agree about Shirley’s dress on the Saturday show. Must admit I didn’t think “tramp” but more “ put them away woman!” :eek:
I think it’s the toy boy influence, she’s obviously ‘feeling young and flirty’ lol x

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well that was no surprise this week. Jackie Smith was definitely at a bit of a loss, even with Ed Balls popping in to give her some advice. The others have all come through and Bill Bailey was a bit of a surprise after last week. He really has worked hard this week.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Bill actually surprised me - he'd told them his knees didn't straighten and they certainly didn't last week - yet here he was this week ballroom dancing rather well sometimes with straight legs! I was cross with 'Wardrobe' - if you want to make someone look fatter than they are just bung em in a long skirt with short flounces. Spanish dancing skirts have shedloads of frills round their hems - not flounces. The sleeves are skintight but have shedloads more material in the underarm area to accommodate the arm movements. Or - they have a very neat oval hole under the armpit. The men's suits of lights which Matadors wear have holes under the pits too. Jackie Smith's dress was the same - deliberately constructed to emphasise her bodily rigidity. Oh that Hrvy is too good looking, so we'll just make him look as completely beige as we can. That American bloke isn't as gobby as we thought he'd be, instead of which he turns out to be very mild mannered and polite - so we'll make his outfit as brash as we can.

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wow great show. What a constant surprise Bill is, just great. Ranvir was also really really good. Enjoyed Maisie’s dance and also JJ’s. As the judges said Caroline does need to let go a bit and think Jason will be voted off, he was definitely the weakest but I thoroughly enjoyed all the dances tonight.
PS another lovely dress for Claudia

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh I forgot Jamie’s dance was hysterical, he really got the character, I fell about laughing :D