Stress related glucose rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it’s surprising what subconscious stress can do. I got up to 15 before a recent medical appointment 🙄 Like you, I thought I was calm and relaxed.

Wow that explains alot for me !

I am really prone to stress and even things which should be entertainment cause me problems and I can't watch suspense thriller movies or even an intense game of sport these days without it consciously causing me a lot of anxiety.... so not watching the football tonight. I thought I would be OK going to see an action movie with my friend who is a Tom Cruise fan and really wanted to see Top Gun 2. Bearing in mind I almost never go above 12 these day, I hit 17 in the middle of the movie with an upward sloping arrow and needed to get my insulin out and jab 5 units. Would like to say it was down to Tom but he really doesn't do it for me, it is just suspense. I knew I was anxious, but I didn't expect it would impact my levels to that extent. Need to stick to Rom Coms, Musicals, children's movies or animation from now on it seems. I am such a wuss!
Interestingly I am not too bad at the dentist and actually hypoed the time before last!

If you know how you react @rebrascora you can preempt the rise with an insulin dose.
The “stress” I feel when climbing causes my levels to go in the same direction as the ropes. So, I dose my insulin to match the anticipated liver dump and don’t do too bad.

I noticed this exact same thing when having my covid and flu shots! (despite all the insulin injections, I'm still getting over a long existing pre diabetes needle phobia!)
I also noticed it when I was at an airport recently and there was a problem with checking me in - stress levels were high and then my libre started chiming in with high sugars as well just to add to the situation :rofl:

Here's my last trip to the dentist:

2022NovdentistWednesday.JPG

And just for comparison, here's the previous Wednesday:

2022OctnondentistWednesday.JPG

Stress always does this to me, and I get a delayed reaction, so the huge spike in the afternoon just after my appointment may be less due to the actual visit to the dentist and more due to the gas company doing some very noisy work and blocking our drive in the morning - we thought we might not be able to get to dentist, which was very stressful indeed! The reaction to dentist may be the fact that my bgl was high all night, despite my having extra insulin with my evening meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back