• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Stress, cortisol and blood-sugar

BrianVPC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My mum is type 1 and regularly gets a number of high blood-sugar tests often followed by a number of low blood-sugar tests even though her diet, insulin injections and exercise program is remain the same. We’re trying to find the cause of this so that she can better manage her diabetes. We found out that cortisol is the body’s stress hormone and that it raises the glucose level in the blood. Mum does get very stressed so maybe this provides a partial explanation of what’s happening. Is there anything that can explain her unusually high tests, or is there anything that can be done to moderate her stress levels or the levels of cortisol? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My mum is type 1 and regularly gets a number of high blood-sugar tests often followed by a number of low blood-sugar tests even though her diet, insulin injections and exercise program is remain the same. We’re trying to find the cause of this so that she can better manage her diabetes. We found out that cortisol is the body’s stress hormone and that it raises the glucose level in the blood. Mum does get very stressed so maybe this provides a partial explanation of what’s happening. Is there anything that can explain her unusually high tests, or is there anything that can be done to moderate her stress levels or the levels of cortisol? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
There many things that affect blood glucose levels.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I note from your own age that your mum must be amongst the first age group to get her vaccine (to put it delicately) and the first question I wish to ask is what brand(s) of insulin does she use and how does she deliver it - does she have a pump or use pens?

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
AS mentioned above there are many things that can affect blood suagr readings.
This chart is the best I have found to list them

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 4_45_50 PM.png

looking through these may help to identify what is causing your mother's roller coaster.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there anything that can explain her unusually high tests, or is there anything that can be done to moderate her stress levels or the levels of cortisol? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Has your mum actually had blood tests done to see how high her cortisol levels are? Or are you just second guessing from what you researched on the net?
If her levels are high as proven with a blood test then your mum would be referred to an endo to sort the problem out.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @BrianVPC

Hope you can work with her clinic and make some tweaks to your Mum’s treatment plan to adjust as her insulin needs change month by month.

It never seems to stay still for long with me o_O