• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions about diabetes. Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this.

Stress and BG Levels

ClaudiaKiwi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow! I’ve had such a stressful day and can feel myself really twitchy with some of the work stuff I am having to deal with today. The impact is my levels despite eating absolutely bang on today have punched up to 10 just now. Highest reading I have had in a few weeks. It really shows what stress can do doesn’t it. This is normal right ?? :(

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wow! I’ve had such a stressful day and can feel myself really twitchy with some of the work stuff I am having to deal with today. The impact is my levels despite eating absolutely bang on today have punched up to 10 just now. Highest reading I have had in a few weeks. It really shows what stress can do doesn’t it. This is normal right ?? :(
Yeah.

ClaudiaKiwi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Figured as much. Dang it. Well clearly I just need to win lotto and move to somewhere with palm trees and sugar free pina coladas that can only be drank whilst in a hammock in the sun ..... *sigh* - meanwhile in the world of the NHS I’ll try to imagine this and keep my lid on :)

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Figured as much. Dang it. Well clearly I just need to win lotto and move to somewhere with palm trees and sugar free pina coladas that can only be drank whilst in a hammock in the sun ..... *sigh* - meanwhile in the world of the NHS I’ll try to imagine this and keep my lid on :)
Sounds like a good idea.
A few years ago I was attending retirement do and one of the girls still working said you retired girls look good. One of my retired colleagues summed by saying no work stress.

Lucy Honeychurch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like a good idea.
A few years ago I was attending retirement do and one of the girls still working said you retired girls look good. One of my retired colleagues summed by saying no work stress.

Funny you should say this as I was just wandering if people on here who don't work, work from home and are retired have better bgs than those of us who work out of the home.

Flo15

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Stress especially severe stress plays havoc with my levels. Unfortunately I think stress will always be with me. I don't work as I am a full time carer for my 16 yr old son who has autism,selective mutism and severe anxiety, he hasn't been able to attend school for 6 years due to his anxiety so has a tutor which is still not easy, sigh. I find myself anxious and stressed and worried on a daily basis.

I also cannot leave him on his own so sometimes getting exercise is difficult if he is too anxious to leave the house. I often wonder if the stress was gone then would my blood sugar levels just be a bit more stable.

New-journey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes, stress does it for me too. I am aiming for balance this year, started meditating to release stress and do yoga every day.
In case you didn't win the lottery, is there something you can do to unwind? Your job does sound very stressful and sorry you had such a hard day. Sending hugs

Flo15

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wow I so appreciate where you are coming from. I’ve worked with people with autism for years in the past and always have had the biggest respect for carers in the family.
Stress is yuk isn’t it :(

I am lucky that I dont work tbh, it could be much harder. My son is amazingly clever with computers and has a great sense of humour. I am privileged to be his Mum, his anxiety holds him back so much but I am hopeful as he matures he may find life somewhat easier. Stress is everywhere isnt it, life is so frantic at times :( Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Last edited:

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You know when people want you to relax (medics usually LOL) they sort of tell you to go in your head to somewhere really beautiful that you've been to and been relaxed? Mine's lying on a beach in Goa with the sun filtering through the permanent straw beach umbrella .......

Radders

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mindfulness seems to be the next big thing to combat stress.
I find that short term stresd raises my levels but have also suffered severe hypos after prolonged stressful periods. My theory is that the repeated short term stress has emptied out my glycogen stores!

everydayupsanddowns

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Saw a thing on FB the other day which suggested taking a brief pause if you felt your stress anxiety was running out of control and then noticing things about your surroundings, your body, your senses. I’ll see if I can find it...

everydayupsanddowns

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mindfulness seems to be the next big thing to combat stress.
I find that short term stresd raises my levels but have also suffered severe hypos after prolonged stressful periods. My theory is that the repeated short term stress has emptied out my glycogen stores!

That’s really interesting Radders, I wonder if anyone had ever formally studied that. I am another who has noticed that different stresses/situations can send my levels down as well as up.

TheClockworkDodo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My levels go sky high with stress generally ... but on days when I'm frantically busy with it they can go down, even if the activity isn't physical.

On the subject of relaxation lowering blood sugar, I control my DP by going back to bed after breakfast and relaxing - if I don't my levels mid-morning are invariably around 15. I've tested this out several times and nothing else seems to work for me.