Strawberries in Short Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin.A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone else struggling to get fresh strawberries? They're a mainstay of my breakfast.

I managed to pick some up at Waitrose on Saturday after finding that neither Morrisons nor Sainsbury's had any. Morrisons didn't have any this morning either.

Funnily enough I went into Morrisons and Sainsbury's today looking for raspberries and neither shops had them - in Sainsbury's I think it was there was a note saying they were trying to get hold of strawberries

Might frozen ones help you out as a stopgap @Martin.A ? I guess the texture would be a bit off once they had defrosted.

I don’t know where strawberries come from at this time of year. Is it southern Europe or further afield?

Ahhhh! Yes the summer weather was a bit weird wasnt it.

Anyone else old enough to remember when the Strawberry season was June, July, a gap in August, and then a couple of weeks Autumn fruiting varieties in September?
Yep, and I reckon we were better for it. If not just for the excitement of the first early potatoes, or frost for the sprouts, those summer months for strawberries. Then there were russet apples from the loft wrapped in newspaper around Christmas.

Now everything is available at Christmas.

Is it progress? I don't think so.

Sorry in advance for the contentious view😱.

Edit: typo correction 😳

Last edited:
There has been limited fruit in Sainsburys for weeks, as like @Martin.A, it’s my mainstay breakfast. If you are lucky on certain day they have a couple of punnets left. Lidl always seem to have them when I get there but they seem to go mouldy very quickly, but that maybe just me. The search continues…

Yes I agree the real seasons made whatever fruits/vegetables that eventually became available special and eagerly awaited. Now everything is almost always available but the taste, texture, actual (and safe) nutrition, enjoyment, experience seem so much poorer (IMO).

Happy 'ultra processed' Christmas everyone!

promoPizza15.jpg

There has been limited fruit in Sainsburys for weeks, as like @Martin.A, it’s my mainstay breakfast. If you are lucky on certain day they have a couple of punnets left. Lidl always seem to have them when I get there but they seem to go mouldy very quickly, but that maybe just me. The search continues…
Fortunately I always have a mix of berries on my Weetabix so even in the absence of strawberries I've still got blueberries, raspberries and sometime blackberries. I'll also chop up a small slice of Royal Gala apple sometimes too.

Fortunately I always have a mix of berries on my Weetabix so even in the absence of strawberries I've still got blueberries, raspberries and sometime blackberries. I'll also chop up a small slice of Royal Gala apple sometimes too.
Our home grown crop of blueberries, blackberries, gooseberries, jostaberries, redcurrants was pretty good so have good stocks frozen, sadly the raspberries were not so prolific and frozen strawberries are awful. I have a good crop of cape gooseberries which I am still picking so a good variety to choose from for breakfast.

I try to eat fruit according to the season and then rely on frozen through the winter.
So stewed rhubarb with my breakfast yoghurt in the spring and then gooseberries and apricots and rasps and blackcurrants and strawbs and blueberries, the odd plum and blackberries and then half an apple a day now and back into frozen berries for the winter. For some reason my blueberries are getting later and later each year. Maybe I need some new ones. That reminds me, I must go and retrieve whatever apples are left on the tree once this storm is over plus whatever windfalls are serviceable.

Yes - and only having oranges at this time of year! We'd never given that a single thought in decades until we went to Portugal for Xmas and new year a few years ago where they were selling net bags of 10 at the side of roads for 1€ a bag. They weren't huge oranges by any means but the delicate flavour and they were sweet and juicy - great. Good job they weren't huge, as I could get away with one most days, but there again we were still walking most places then.

Managed to pick up a punnet at Waitrose on my way to the pool just before midday as Morrisons had none again. They only had half a dozen on the shelf though. Local, too - grown in Berkshire it says on the label.

Morrison's haven't had any for a while now and Asda also seem to be struggling. I've converted to melon with my yogurt for the time being. I'm not a fan of raspberries, too squishy 🙂

Yes - and only having oranges at this time of year! We'd never given that a single thought in decades until we went to Portugal for Xmas and new year a few years ago where they were selling net bags of 10 at the side of roads for 1€ a bag. They weren't huge oranges by any means but the delicate flavour and they were sweet and juicy - great. Good job they weren't huge, as I could get away with one most days, but there again we were still walking most places then.
Yeah, I remember when an orange was (only) tor Christmas. Now it's a dog!?? I couldn't possible eat a whole one;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back