Strange Stuttering Dexcom Readings

victorhamesse

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
I've had strange readings from my Dexcom 1+ today. In previous days the dot trace has gone up and down quite smoothly with eating etc, with a long tail during the night. Today (from 8am onwards) the trace seems to stutter up and down as if my pancreas is misfiring (c.f sudden changes in insulin production). Doesn't seem to be a duff sensor as it occurred with the old sensor (8.30am to 12pm) and the new one (12.30pm until now - 9.30pm). Is this a duff sensor ?

Anyone seen this before ? I don't feel any different.

By contrast, I've added one from 8am this morning, i.e., pre stuttering : Chart3

Attachments

• StutteringPancreas.jpeg
    StutteringPancreas.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 15
  • StutteringPancreas2.jpeg
    StutteringPancreas2.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Chart3.jpeg
    Chart3.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The centre really stuttery graph is in 3hour mode, whereas the first and last ones are in 24 hour mode and that will likely make a difference. It has nothing to do with your pancreas stuttering, the graph is reading glucose not insulin and your levels look to be beautifully in range so you clearly have the right amount of insulin in your system to manage your levels very well.

I get this with dexcom sometimes...normally when a sensor is about to end or is going a bit 'iffy'. I think its the sensor, not you. The old one because it was starting to fail, the new one...perhaps bedding in?
It doesn't always mean the sensor is on its way to failure, sometime it resolves

I get this with dexcom sometimes...normally when a sensor is about to end or is going a bit 'iffy'. I think its the sensor, not you. The old one because it was starting to fail, the new one...perhaps bedding in?
It doesn't always mean the sensor is on its way to failure, sometime it resolves

Thanks. That's entirely consistent, as today, it's back to normal. Hurrah.

Have added today's chart i.e. post stuttering.

Attachments

• PostStuttering.jpeg
    PostStuttering.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@victorhamesse,

As @rebrascora said earlier all your readings are wonderfully in range so your own insulin production is holding up really well. Because of your background (blocked bile duct corrected by Gliclazide, you told us) my first thought was are you seeing variability because of the sensor or because it is revealing gastric "stutters" recurring.

You know your body better than anyone and are as well placed as anyone to pick up on changes or trends as they might arise. And, of course, when you first had that blocked bile duct you didn't have any insight from CGM to give you visual clues then.

Finally, slightly different thought, Dexcom One+ is a very new CGM offering from Dexcom. It's predecessor was a 2 part system: a 90 day sensor with a 10 day transmitter and was, in effect, a junior version of Dexcom's G6. Whereas the One+ is a newer and junior version of the G7. The difference in behaviour between G6 and G7 is inevitable because their modus operandi is different; and none of us know what the algorithms are doing to convert electrical impulses from interstitial fluid into a graph on a screen - and there really isn't a lengthy history of how well Dex One+ behaves. You might find it useful to have a background dialogue with Dexcom technical services, showing them your graphs, making sure they realise you are not yet taking extraneous insulin and so they don't make false assumptions.

@victorhamesse,

As @rebrascora said earlier all your readings are wonderfully in range so your own insulin production is holding up really well. Because of your background (blocked bile duct corrected by Gliclazide, you told us) my first thought was are you seeing variability because of the sensor or because it is revealing gastric "stutters" recurring.

You know your body better than anyone and are as well placed as anyone to pick up on changes or trends as they might arise. And, of course, when you first had that blocked bile duct you didn't have any insight from CGM to give you visual clues then.

Finally, slightly different thought, Dexcom One+ is a very new CGM offering from Dexcom. It's predecessor was a 2 part system: a 90 day sensor with a 10 day transmitter and was, in effect, a junior version of Dexcom's G6. Whereas the One+ is a newer and junior version of the G7. The difference in behaviour between G6 and G7 is inevitable because their modus operandi is different; and none of us know what the algorithms are doing to convert electrical impulses from interstitial fluid into a graph on a screen - and there really isn't a lengthy history of how well Dex One+ behaves. You might find it useful to have a background dialogue with Dexcom technical services, showing them your graphs, making sure they realise you are not yet taking extraneous insulin and so they don't make false assumptions.

Good idea, thanks.

I’m using the one plus and my graphs look similar. I previously used the G6 and that smoothed out the graph unlike the one plus. Sometimes I find it’s less accurate and calibrate more often and don’t trust it as much as did with g6. But I like the small sensor and it’s half the price, but not as comfortable as g6 and had allergic reaction to over tape. Fortunately it sticks like a limpet. I bought 3 months supply so shall persevere with it.

Back