Strange question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
So my bg is quite well controlled at the moment but I am really tempted to have a huge piece of Xmas cake. I know this will spike me . My question is , what actual harm will it do

So my bg is quite well controlled at the moment but I am really tempted to have a huge piece of Xmas cake. I know this will spike me . My question is , what actual harm will it do
In the long term probably not much, but why not just have a small piece without too much icing and marzipan. Maybe then have a less carbs later.

That would be the sensible choice , Im just fed up with being the only one at the table who says no thankyou all the time
I would have a small piece. That way you can have your cake and eat it...

Or you have a large piece of cake and go out for an hour's walk straight after or put some music on and dance it off. Has to be energetic though! Or I run up and down stairs 20 times although that wouldn't be enough to burn off a small piece of Christmas cake let alone a large piece for me. It is incredibly carb rich!

By the way, you might be the only one at your table but there are plenty of us at other tables. Probably doesn't help I know. In your shoes, I would probably have a small piece.
Moderation is important if you can manage it..... I can't, I am an "all or nothing girl"! 🙄

I always have a little Xmas fruit cake, minus the icing and marzipan though.

White Cheshire with mine, please.
I made some Christmas cakes this year, and I added sunflower seed kernels, walnuts and slivered almonds, coconut flour and other low carb things, to the extent that I could make an extra cake - but they were a little scorched as they required less time in the oven, which I must make a note of for next year.
After not doing any baking at Christmas for quite a few years, I was a bit emotional - but I did manage to restrain myself and cut the cakes into small pieces - the traditional method is to cut a fairly thick slice but then take only half of it. The cakes are made in loaf tins.
Christmas loaf is date and walnut bread.
When it comes to producing something commercially, maximising the carbs is often one way to reduce the cost to produce, but still be able to sell it as the thing it is supposed to be.
Lyons managed to remove all trace of egg from its cakes quite a while ago, much to the delight of those allergic to them, but it didn't proclaim the fact at all loudly because it wanted to maintain the image of proper home baked goods.

Have or have not.
Depending if you deprive yourself will you overcompensate with other foods that add up to that carb level? Low carbs still add up the more you have. Whereas one piece might make you want more so best without.
If you have enjoy and taste every bit.

I am working through our Christmas cake very slowly. We put a very thin layer of marzipan and icing on it, andI have it with cheese. A small piece and then a walk. I enjoy both and don’t feel deprived.

I am working through our Christmas cake very slowly. We put a very thin layer of marzipan and icing on it, andI have it with cheese. A small piece and then a walk. I enjoy both and don’t feel deprived.
and as a type one, you could adjust your insulin for it. So no big issue is there. It is not as if it is a 365,4 times a day occurrence. Cake has a lot of good in it besides carbs, eggs are healthy, and fruit is good although sweeter once dried but enjoy.

When it comes to producing something commercially, maximising the carbs is often one way to reduce the cost to produce, but still be able to sell it as the thing it is supposed to be.
My Mum always makes a very deep Christmas cake with home made marzipan and icing on the top. We always leave their Christmas with a good sized chunk
In contrast, my MIL buys her's from M&S. It is about a third of the height of the home made one and about a third of that is (cheap) icing and marzipan and the cake is much much sweeter (not that you could say my Mum's is savoury). M&S definitely save money on the fruit and cakiness.

Thankfully, MIL gave us panettone this year instead of the block of M&S icing with a sliver of cake attached.

Last edited:
I made a Christmas cake and pudding as usual from my trusty Times Calendar Cook book which is about 40 years old, but did half and half flour and almond flour and put a thin layer of marzipan and just enough icing to stick a selection of nuts on the top as well as the Santa.

My Mum always makes a very deep Christmas cake with home made marzipan and icing on the top. We always leave their Christmas with a good sized chunk
In contrast, my MIL buys her's from M&S. It is about a third of the height of the home made one and about a third of that is (cheap) icing and marzipan and the cake is much much sweeter (not that you could say my Mum's is savoury). M&S definitely save money on the fruit and cakiness.

Thankfully, MIL gave us panettone this year instead of the block of M&S icing with a sliver of cake attached.
I don't ice my Christmas cake - it is not something I grew up with. The 'proper' decoration is blanched almonds scattered liberally across the top and roasted in the baking process.
Circular cakes are 'Twelfth cakes' as Christmas cake in made in a loaf tin.

I don't ice my Christmas cake - it is not something I grew up with. The 'proper' decoration is blanched almonds scattered liberally across the top and roasted in the baking process.
Circular cakes are 'Twelfth cakes' as Christmas cake in made in a loaf tin.
Reminds me of Dundee cake

This may sound funny, but I've found Christmas cake freezes well. I have a small piece (about the size of my middle finger), then cut up the rest into individual portions, wrap them in cling film and freeze them. I'm the one at the table who says - "I've planned for ...... in advance, so thanks (ie a roast potato)". My friends and family are very good and understand not to spring things on me.

For me the notion of not having Xmas cake is a deal breaker, so I factor it into my diet. I have a slice around about 2-3pm so I have time to go for a walk and beforehand make sure I have a very low carb brekky and low carb lunch.

As for the slice itself, it's not small, but nor is it large. I cut a slice that I would be happy to eat in front of people without embarassent.

Naturally before eating I check bloods and I monitor for the rest of the day.

I think it would depend on temperament, is that the word? If I was 'being good' then one slice could trigger a huge weeks long binge. Maybe even months. I think most people would be sensible though. 🙂

Or you have a large piece of cake and go out for an hour's walk straight after or put some music on and dance it off. Has to be energetic though! Or I run up and down stairs 20 times although that wouldn't be enough to burn off a small piece of Christmas cake let alone a large piece for me. It is incredibly carb rich!

By the way, you might be the only one at your table but there are plenty of us at other tables. Probably doesn't help I know. In your shoes, I would probably have a small piece.
Moderation is important if you can manage it..... I can't, I am an "all or nothing girl"! 🙄
That suprised me how comforting it is to think Im in the same position as hundreds of other people, it it is strangely lonely condition sometimes thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back