Strange night time experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I woke in the early hours shaking and thrashing around - felt very confused but couldn't actually get out of bed or nudge my husband awake.

In my head I kept thinking must check bloods but couldn't get up. The next minute it was 8 o'clock

Could this have been a night time hypo? & if is was and it was not treated would my BS have risen back up themselves?

my bs at 8 was 5.3.

Or could this have just been a nightmare dream - I'm convinced I was awake.

I woke in the early hours shaking and thrashing around - felt very confused but couldn't actually get out of bed or nudge my husband awake.

In my head I kept thinking must check bloods but couldn't get up. The next minute it was 8 o'clock

Could this have been a night time hypo? & if is was and it was not treated would my BS have risen back up themselves?

my bs at 8 was 5.3.

Or could this have just been a nightmare dream - I'm convinced I was awake.

Dear Dizzydi,

It could have been a liver dump of glucose which caused you to rise out of the hypo' condition

Warmest Regards Dodger

As Dodger surmises Di, I think this sounds like you dropped low in the night and your liver eventually put out some glucose into your bloodstream to raise your levels. I used to experience something fairly similar, although not as pronounced, when I first started on insulin. You should let your DSN know about it in case they have any suggestions for changing your insulin doses. Do you know what level you were on when you went to bed? Migth be worth setting the alarm to do some 3 am tests to see if you are dropping low (this is normally the time when our levels are lowest).

As Dodger surmises Di, I think this sounds like you dropped low in the night and your liver eventually put out some glucose into your bloodstream to raise your levels. I used to experience something fairly similar, although not as pronounced, when I first started on insulin. You should let your DSN know about it in case they have any suggestions for changing your insulin doses. Do you know what level you were on when you went to bed? Migth be worth setting the alarm to do some 3 am tests to see if you are dropping low (this is normally the time when our levels are lowest).

I'm naughty don't test before bed unless I feel low - and touch wood so far when I have felt low I have been (I know naughty) just conscious of costs of strips. I test in the morning and then if / when I feel I need to - maybe that;s not such a good idea.

Anyway I wonder if I was low before bed I was dead on my feet, legs aching - did a 15 mile bike ride yesterday. In the eve I had 2 glasses of bubbly and decided to stick to normal dose rather than reducing.

I'm still new to injecting - will do as you suggested Northener and do a couple of random 3 am's to see what is going on. I will also mention to Consultant when I next see him.

Thanks Di x

Yeah, sounds like a night time hypo to me. I've been like that before when I've been unable to get up ar attract someone's attention.. bit scary!! Like someone has already said, I think I'd either test before bed for a few nights or set your alarm to do a test through the night - your hubby will hate us lot for suggesting that one!!!🙂

The extra information would suggest it was a hypo. All that exercise would have the effect of lowering your insulin requirements, plus the bubbly would for a period of time reduce the amount of glucose that your liver could secrete.

I was told on diagnosis that when people are drunk they are actually hypo - which is why they crave chips or curry and rice.

Di, as an insulin user it is especially important that you should be able to test when you need to, so you shouldn't have to worry about 'wasting' strips. Personally, I think that the 'before bed' test is a very important one as it is likelt to be the longest period of time that you hae without eating food. Margie is right too - the combination of all that exercise plus the alcohol would have reduced your insulin requirements quite a lot, they certainly would have done in me. Discuss how you might reduce your insulin with your DSN, you need to find the happy medium between not dropping too low and not waking too high.

I find that my insulin requirements are reduced for at least a day after a lot of exercise.

Di, as an insulin user it is especially important that you should be able to test when you need to, so you shouldn't have to worry about 'wasting' strips. Personally, I think that the 'before bed' test is a very important one as it is likelt to be the longest period of time that you hae without eating food. Margie is right too - the combination of all that exercise plus the alcohol would have reduced your insulin requirements quite a lot, they certainly would have done in me. Discuss how you might reduce your insulin with your DSN, you need to find the happy medium between not dropping too low and not waking too high.

I find that my insulin requirements are reduced for at least a day after a lot of exercise.

Thanks for info - will start testing before bed from now on as well as morning!!
It makes sense. (& Hubby has been asking me if this woukld not be wise for a few weeks)

I would never in my wildest dreams have thought that alcohol would mean I needed to reduce the insulin - I thought it would have mean't more. That will teach me to drink..lol...which I do once every blue moon - the only reason I had a drink last night was cause it was a b'day present from a few weeks ago and I though it would be rude not to 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back