Strange Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Charles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Not too sure what has happened today but this morning my pre-FOTF was 9.6 and after a breakfast of porridge (18 carbs) went up to 10.1 after two hours. I had been out during the early part of the afternoon and walked about 1.5 miles. I didn’t have my evening meal until around 9:30 and my BG was 8.2 before. The meal was a Chinese consisting of sweet and sour chicken with some egg fried rice. I was expecting a sky high reading 2 hours later, but was pleasantly surprised when I read 8.8 Would this have been caused by the exercise earlier or is there another explanation?

Happy New Year

This "could" rather than definitely would have been a direct result of your exercise.

Whatever the cause it is a further excellent result as part of your general trend of reducing BGs and meal selections that your body seems to be able to manage. It will be interesting to see how this morning starts.

As someone who is insulin dependent and fortunate enough to have CGM I can see from my graphs that my body doesn't digest rice quickly; so I often get a spike after several hours, by which time the digestion appears to be complete but my insulin has dissipated and hence the spike. You might (or might not) experience the same delay and if you do have delayed digestion you might still not see that - without fps every hour or 2 through the night [which I am NOT suggesting is sensible or appropriate!]. If this morning you are still in the 8s or even 9s then that will be a great longer term outcome - indicating your natural insulin has coped with the carbs you've eaten over the longer term as well as after 2 hours.

Each pair of tests are of limited use as just one pair, but if the majority of your paired test results show a definite trend then that would be really useful. I would be just a little wary of making firm conclusions from just one pair of results. The longer you can continue collecting data the more reliable that data can become.

It's a win-win situation: if lots of pairs of tests show a clear trend, then deductions become increasingly reliable. If the pairs of tests don't show a noticeable trend then that is helpful in demonstrating there is more going on with your metabolism than is immediately apparent and perhaps a different treatment path is needed. Our bodies are complex, as is diabetes.

If this morning you are still in the 8s or even 9s then that will be a great longer term outcome - indicating your natural insulin has coped with the carbs you've eaten over the longer term as well as after 2 hours.
I have just taken my pre-FOTF and it is 9.8 so a reasonable start to the day after the high carb meal last night.

I have put together a spreadsheet of my readings for the whole of December and this shows that my daily average pre-FOTF was 11.8 and 12.9 2 hours after breakfast. My pre evening meal average was 10.1 and 14.3 2 hours later. My daily average came out as 12.2

There were 11 occasions that readings weren’t taken for various reasons. Hopefully a sign that I may be getting something right or that I’ve something else to learn.

My after breakfast reading was 11.4 an increase of just 1.6 my breakfast was a croissant, 2 sausages and a cup of black coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back