Stopping a sensor before the 14 days are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I only applied a sensor this morning but already I am having regrets. I will see how it goes for the next few days but I am wondering if anyone has ever removed as sensor before the 14 days. I may carry on right up to the end but not bother with another one.

I feel everytime I start tracking my carbs I feel under pressure same as like when I went to slimming clubs so I have decided not to track just scan whenever but not leaving it longer than 8 hours.

I only applied a sensor this morning but already I am having regrets. I will see how it goes for the next few days but I am wondering if anyone has ever removed as sensor before the 14 days. I may carry on right up to the end but not bother with another one.

I feel everytime I start tracking my carbs I feel under pressure same as like when I went to slimming clubs so I have decided not to track just scan whenever but not leaving it longer than 8 hours.
It took me a while, when I started fingerpicking, to learn to regard the number as just that. A number. Not a judgement. Something to look at and think, oh, something I ate made my blood glucose a bit high, I wonder what I could adjust. Not, OMG, that number is high, I am such a failure, I can’t control my blood glucose.
I did get there in the end, and I can view my Libre graph as something providing me with information, not as a silent critic.
Think of it like a thermometer, Oh, it’s that temperature, I’ll need a coat. Or a road sign, Oh, Ive forgotten I'm in a 30 zone, and I’m doing a bit more, better take my foot of the accelerator.
Weve all been guilt tripped when it comes to eating, and it takes practice to leave the guilt behind. Keep practising and you’ll reach an understanding with your BG figures, and that will help you tame your diabetes.

Last edited:
As Type 2 adopting a low carb way of eating it never occurred to me to go to the detail that a Libre would give me and just went for before meal and 2 hours post meal to guide me on food choices. Which I did until I learnt what foods were good and what not so good.

Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a Libre wobble @HalfpipMarathon

I think your approach sounds like a sensible one. Keep scanning every 6-8 hours or so for a few days, and then see how you feel.

I think it’s understandable for you to feel a bit weird, as you’d been uncertain about using the sensor for a while.

Give yourself some time, and be kind to yourself. 🙂

Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a Libre wobble @HalfpipMarathon

I think your approach sounds like a sensible one. Keep scanning every 6-8 hours or so for a few days, and then see how you feel.

I think it’s understandable for you to feel a bit weird, as you’d been uncertain about using the sensor for a while.

Give yourself some time, and be kind to yourself. 🙂
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your understanding where I am coming from.

I'm glad that my approach appears reasonable. How I am feeling might because I have had such a long gap between sensors not entirely by choice partly influenced by the fact I self fund.

It took me a while, when I started fingerpicking, to learn to regard the number as just that. A number. Not a judgement. Something to look at and think, oh, something I ate made my blood glucose a bit high, I wonder what I could adjust. Not, OMG, that number is high, I am such a failure, I can’t control my blood glucose.
I did get there in the end, and I can view my Libre graph as something providing me with information, not as a silent critic.
Think of it like a thermometer, Oh, it’s that temperature, I’ll need a coat. Or a road sign, Oh, Ive forgotten I'm in a 30 zone, and I’m doing a bit more, better take my foot of the accelerator.
Weve all been guilt tripped when it comes to eating, and it takes practice to leave the guilt behind. Keep practising and you’ll reach an understanding with your BG figures, and that will help you tame your diabetes.
Thank you. Like you say it's like being on a guilr trip same as when I used to go to slimming clubs; the number on the scales no different to the number on the app.

It will take a while. Most times I know what might have caused a high reading but even when I was finger pricking there was no rhyme or reason especially if you had same food.

Can you not use the data you have already collected to select meals that you can tolerate. Maybe better to use the money to buy high quality suitable foods.
Possible but I never know what I am going to want on a daily basis. I try and choose low carb whenever I can

Thank you. Like you say it's like being on a guilr trip same as when I used to go to slimming clubs; the number on the scales no different to the number on the app.
Some people don't get on with sensors (for a variety of reasons) and it sounds like you may be one of them. I don't remember anyone saying they'd removed one early (other than for some kind of failure) but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that: if you're going to be happier without it, get rid of the thing.

Possible but I never know what I am going to want on a daily basis. I try and choose low carb whenever I can
Maybe sticking to a few safe meals which may help stabilise your blood glucose and then introduce more variety. It sounds as if you are not being too vigilant with your low carb which could be why your levels are erratic.

Yep in same boat, thought I was perfect, test before meal 5-6, spot on, every time except hypos, hyper miscalculations. Turns out takes 4 hrs for insulin to work and I'm peaking at 15-20 before coming back down to 5ish before next meal.... my day now looks like a snake. Ignorance is bliss.

Yep in same boat, thought I was perfect, test before meal 5-6, spot on, every time except hypos, hyper miscalculations. Turns out takes 4 hrs for insulin to work and I'm peaking at 15-20 before coming back down to 5ish before next meal.... my day now looks like a snake. Ignorance is bliss.
I'm not on insulin and don't have hypos not that I am aware of and not on medication that might cause hypos.

The one feature I do like with the Libre 2 is the TIR (time in range feature). I have not been below 85% when I have used the sensors. It's aiming to stay in range the higher the better that helped bring my HbA1c down as well as the weight loss have achieved.

I think I have to just see the reading as just a number that tells me that I am doing okay or I need to cut down on some things.

Untill I started using the sensors I lived in ignorant bliss following stopping finger pricking.

You could keep it on, scan every 8 hours and not look at it, then the data is there for if you want it. Or leave it on but not scan and see if you feel any different in a few days.

You could take it off completely, just scan it after you take it off then it gives an error and ends. The only reason for leaving it on without using it is that it gives you the opportunity to change your mind and scan it later on.

Without wanting to hijack the hread, that sounds to me like ypur doses are spot-on, but that the timing of insulin action is off.

It might help to leave a gap between dosing the insulin, and actually eating the food. 10-15 minutes is a pretty common ‘prebolus’ time, but it‘s not unheard of for forum members to find they need much longer, or need different lengths of prebolus at different meals.

If you think that might help, start cautiously and consider increasing the wait time by 5-10 minutes every few days until you find your own individual sweet spot.

You could keep it on, scan every 8 hours and not look at it, then the data is there for if you want it. Or leave it on but not scan and see if you feel any different in a few days.

You could take it off completely, just scan it after you take it off then it gives an error and ends. The only reason for leaving it on without using it is that it gives you the opportunity to change your mind and scan it later on.
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your understanding and your suggestion.

I think I will keep it on but might say scan every other day after all when the sensor ends I have a gap in data until I replace the sensor which is dependent on finances.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your understanding and your suggestion.

I think I will keep it on but might say scan every other day after all when the sensor ends I have a gap in data until I replace the sensor which is dependent on finances.
Can I ask are you using the information you are getting from your Libre to make better food choices. This link may help you with those low carb options. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

I think the question is what is it going to tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back