stomach pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
been on metformin for about a month now but some days i get stomach pains .also have a sore shoulder when i move my arm could this be diabetes related.

Hi
Stomach cramps is a well known side effect of Metformin, usually along with the runs and/or constipation - the voice of experience! I've not heard of shoulder pain being related - did you exercise awkwardly, or knock it recently?

There is a condition called 'Frozen shoulder' which is more common in people with diabetes, but I don’t think anyone knows why. The NHS page mentions diabetes at the bottom of the page.

been on metformin for about a month now but some days i get stomach pains .also have a sore shoulder when i move my arm could this be diabetes related.
I’ve been in it for 8 weeks and there are days when my stomach would be awful. But yeah get used to the gas, cramps, lose stools, constipation and headaches.

Well - if the guts problems haven't eased by 3 + weeks after starting metformin, you need to tell your GP and ask to have it changed to slow release Metformin, which is much kinder to the tummy. I've had 2 frozen shoulders, the first of which was caused by a shoulder injury playing tennis (very over enthusiastic serve - but oh yes they won points!) and only sorted by a long course of intensive private physio so when the other one followed suit I was dreading it but having already packed up playing tennis with the first, got better by itself and by still doing gentle stretching etc exercise.

I’ve been in it for 8 weeks and there are days when my stomach would be awful. But yeah get used to the gas, cramps, lose stools, constipation and headaches.
Why not ask for the slow release version which is supposed to be kinder on the stomach?

I’m another who has had frozen shoulder (once each side).

The first took longer to clear up than the second, but I picked up an interesting snippet from the NHS physio who diagnosed it - that frozen shoulder usually has three phases: getting stiffer > being stiff > getting easier. The phases tend to be the same length, so if you know it was getting stiffer over 6 months, then 18 months after it started it should be done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back