Stomach Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood90

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Recently diagnosed with t1 in March. For the last couple of weeks I have been suffering with stomachs ache. I take lispro sanofi with meals and toujeo at night. The only thing that has changed since diagnoses and since the pain started is although it's the same insulin that I take. I was given a different branded one when I ordered more insulin. Could this be linked to T1 or does anyone know what could cause it.

Thanks

Aimee

Hi @Wood90

Is the insulin you have been gicen "Admelog"? I found this on the internet:
Admelog is the new name for Insulin lispro Sanofi which is available to prescribe in England, Scotland and Wales
So it appears it's just a new name for the same insulin you were already using.

I can't think of any diabetes related stomach pain (unless you are also taking Metformin). Best to check with your GP probably.

No I thinks it called humalog. I have an appointment with the diabetic team next week so i will mention it to them.

Thanks

Have you been tested for coeliac disease?

Just a thought, what are your BG numbers like? Have they been very high since the change in insulin? If so, have you tested for ketones?

They really should not be prescribing you a different insulin unless it has been discussed with your diabetic clinic. Insulins are not always interchangeable and are supposed to be prescribed by brand because of this. The pharmacy are not allowed to give you an equivalent type of insulin if they don't have yours in stock. You need to speak to someone at the pharmacy about this. If your prescription has been changed by the GP then they have no right to do that as your insulin is prescribed by the hospital clinic. If your clinic have changed it then you should have had some input into the decision and know why it has been changed.

As others have suggested, if your BG levels are high it could be diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) which is very serious and you need to test for ketones straight away. Or it could be coeliac disease which is another autoimmune condition as Type 1 diabetes is and autoimmune conditions are gregarious and like to hang out together in the same body unfortunately.....
Or it could be totally unrelated to diabetes or autoimmune conditions and be a gastric upset. Can you be more specific about the symptoms you are experiencing and when they happen? ie Is it like indigestion/heartburn or lower down colicky pain/bloating etc? Are you having problems with diarrhoea or constipation? That sort of information gives us a better idea of what might be going on.
You probably need to make an appointment and speak to a doctor though.

That's what I thought, except the link I gave didn't say it was previously called Humalog (which we are all familiar with).

That's what I thought, except the link I gave didn't say it was previously called Humalog (which we are all familiar with).

Wasn’t it just called Lispro Sanofi? Only the original Lilly Humalog (Lispro) is called Humalog afaik.

Er - it's the same insulin - they have merely changed the name of Humalog to Admelog.
Ah. OK thanks and apologies foir causing confusion. I didn't realise that Lispro and Humalog were the same. That is my new thing to learn today ticked off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back