Stomach pain with fast acting insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello I’m type 2 new to insulin. I get stomach pain and cramps and bloating shortly after taking 4 units of fast acting insulin with meals. I have reduced to 2 units so it isn’t too intense.
I don’t seem to have any problems with my long acting once a day insulin.
Am I doing something wrong. My nurse has no idea
Thank you

I cant answer anything but going to tag someone who I think had similar problems. @EmmaL76

Hi Leigh,
Yes I’ve had similar and I know of others with the same problem. I don’t have an official diagnosis. On paper I’m a LADA due to a borderline antibody test, but I could also be what they call a skinny type 2. I have trialed insulin probably 6 times since my diagnosis 2 years ago and every time I have had to come off it due to similar complaints as you describe it seems to build until it’s unbearable and my blood sugars are incredibly unpredictable during these time. My recent c peptide showed adequate if not good insulin production so my consultant is happy for me to stay off it for now and I’ve gradually been able to tolerate more and more foods by introducing them back slowly. I have doubled my carb intake and but retained my (normal) hba1c so for now I’m fairly happy. Although my consultant insists tummy pain with insulin is not a thing, insulin is a hormones and any hormone has the potential to upset digestion I suppose. This is certainly not me recommending you stopping your current regime as I’m assuming your bloods have been pretty high for you to have been put on this course of treatment. My hba1c was 55 on diagnosis and since then I’ve managed to maintain around 35-36 do I may have very different choices to you but I just wanted you to know your not the only one. Thanks @gll for tagging me in xx

• Love
Reactions: gll
Hello
Thank you so much for this. I have struggled with my whole journey with medication and now insulin. I needed to know from other insulin users that this is a thing. I have read potassium supplement could be helpful. I’m going to research this.
Thank you for taking the time to answer
Leigh

Hello
Thank you so much for this. I have struggled with my whole journey with medication and now insulin. I needed to know from other insulin users that this is a thing. I have read potassium supplement could be helpful. I’m going to research this.
Leigh
Your welcome Leigh, anytime you will get there I promise

Hello
Leigh

A change of insulin might help too. What fast-acting insulin do you take? Some people can’t tolerate the newer insulins, which are genetically engineered. Swapping insulin sorted my stomach issues (amongst other things).

Hello
NovoRapid 4units but I’ve dropped to 2 units to control the pain

Hello
NovoRapid 4units but I’ve dropped to 2 units to control the pain

Sorry, I missed that - long day. Well, why not try a change of insulin? They’re not all the same and Novorapid is an analogue insulin - a type that a few people can’t tolerate. Older insulins such as regular human insulin or porcine insulin can be tolerated better by some people. The IDDT has information on problems with newer insulins.

Sorry, I missed that - long day. Well, why not try a change of insulin? They’re not all the same and Novorapid is an analogue insulin - a type that a few people can’t tolerate. Older insulins such as regular human insulin or porcine insulin can be tolerated better by some people. The IDDT has information on problems with newer insulins.
That’s really helpful thank you. I’m going to message my team now for a change of insulin

That’s really helpful thank you. I’m going to message my team now for a change of insulin

Be prepared for them to be a bit resistant to the older insulins. They’ll no doubt suggest another analogue, eg Humalog, but that could cause issues too, so you’ll have to be patient and maybe try a few options before you find one that suits you. I suggest you do a little research and familiarise yourself with the options and whether each is an analogue, regular human insulin, or animal (porcine) insulin. The order I’ve written them in is from newest to oldest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back