Stomach discomfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb1130

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any insight on some discomfort I'm having. My background: my father and brother were both diagnosed with diabetes in their 30's (many years ago) Neither was overweight or inactive but back then they didn't seem to differentiate between type 1 and type 2 but it's almost certain they were both Type 1 I'd never had bloodwork done until my first pregnancy. I was diagnosed then but told it was gestational and no follow up post partum. Different doctor for second baby, same scenario. Years go by and my brother tests my glucose occasionally and it's always quite high. Long story short, after a long delay due to other health issues etc. I am finally officially diagnosed. Tests confirmed Type . I've been insulin dependent for 8 years. I struggle to maintain healthy levels. I'm almost always high (165 or higher is common and 134 is a "good" number for me) unless I'm on my way to a glucose crash. The past few months I'm having stomach discomfort. It's not pain, if I'm very busy I don't notice it but when I'm lying down it's more noticeable. Upper abdomen and beneath the right ribcage especially. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy about 8 weeks ago. Both had good results. The Dr. suspected h pylori but that came back negative and they said only that I have inflammation. I felt great for two weeks after the test but now I'm back to feeling uncomfortable. (And sadly for my husband, cranky about it.) I'm 65, quite busy, not overweight. I thought gastroparesis but the symptoms for that seem more severe. I was seeing an endocrinologist prior to this but I'm in the process of looking for another practice. Thanks in advance for any help or insights.

I am guessing you are not in the UK since you are measuring BG in mg/dl. So just over 7mmol/l equates to 134 mg/dl if my maths is correct and mostly between there a 9mmols/l, so not desperately high. When you mentioned on your other thread about your levels being at 150 I was wondering why the doctor hadn't sent you straight to hospital A&E!! but if that was a finger prick of 150mg/dl then that equates to about 8 so not desperately high and their dietary advice was probably marginally better than you might get here in the UK. At least it sounds like, whilst your levels have been elevated, they haven't been running dangerously high for a long time, but clearly higher than ideal.

As regards levels still being a bit high.... which insulins are you using and do you carb count and adjust your doses yourself to balance your levels and do you have Freestyle Libre or other CGM sensor to monitor your levels?

Would I be right in thinking the pain is in the liver area and have you had an ultrasound or other scan of those organs? Just wondering if it might be gall bladder or possibly chronic pancreatitis. Did you have Antibody tests to confirm Type 1. I appreciate you have a family history but just wondering if that might possibly be a red herring and your diabetes might be related to a pancreatic issue instead, rather than autoimmune.

I am guessing you are not in the UK since you are measuring BG in mg/dl. So just over 7mmol/l equates to 134 mg/dl if my maths is correct and mostly between there a 9mmols/l, so not desperately high. When you mentioned on your other thread about your levels being at 150 I was wondering why the doctor hadn't sent you straight to hospital A&E!! but if that was a finger prick of 150mg/dl then that equates to about 8 so not desperately high and their dietary advice was probably marginally better than you might get here in the UK. At least it sounds like, whilst your levels have been elevated, they haven't been running dangerously high for a long time, but clearly higher than ideal.

As regards levels still being a bit high.... which insulins are you using and do you carb count and adjust your doses yourself to balance your levels and do you have Freestyle Libre or other CGM sensor to monitor your levels?

Would I be right in thinking the pain is in the liver area and have you had an ultrasound or other scan of those organs? Just wondering if it might be gall bladder or possibly chronic pancreatitis. Did you have Antibody tests to confirm Type 1. I appreciate you have a family history but just wondering if that might possibly be a red herring and your diabetes might be related to a pancreatic issue instead, rather than autoimmune.
Thank you for answering. I appreciate the insights and also the calculations. You're correct. I'm in the U.S. I did have testing done to confirm the Type 1 diagnosis. The 150 was from a pre-surgery blood draw. (fasting) I did have a scan about five years ago when I was having the same issue with abdominal pain. This time the pain originally began under my ribcage so I suspected gallbladder issues. I have very high cholesterol so I'm at risk for that. I'm using Novolog currently and relying on finger pricks and frequent small doses of insulin. It works pretty well if..... I do nothing else!

A quick Google search suggests that Novolog is the same as FIasp which is a fast acting (bolus) insulin. Do you also use a long acting (basal) insulin? If not this may be part of your problem as you only have half the tools to do the job? It sounds like you are perhaps not carb counting but just injecting a little Novolog here and there to keep your levels in check? Am I right in that assumption? Is this a common strategy in the US.... Do your brother and Dad follow a similar regime or do they have 2 separate insulins, one that is taken once or perhaps twice a day when they wake up or perhaps at bedtime and the other before each meal?

It sounds like you would really benefit from an education course like BERTIE online but I am not sure if it can be accessed from outside the UK. You can however learn most of what you need to know here on this forum, because I have.

How many finger prick tests do you average in a day to manage your levels? If you are having to test a lot, you will find a sensor like Libre or Dexcom, a huge benefit. It is so quick and convenient and having alarms on it means that you can be forewarned of your levels dropping or going high and take action before it causes you problems. The system has it's limitations and you need to learn about those, but it really has been a game changer for most of us in improving our diabetes management and quality of life.

Gall bladder problems and inflammation/disease of the pancreas/pancreatitis often go hand in hand, so it might be something to bear in mind and the discomfort you describe seems to be in that area. Are you losing weight at all or having issues with bowel movement. The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes so if it is compromised, stools can become loose and smell bad and oily/greasy and you lose weight because your body cannot extract the nutrients from your food..... so those would be signs to look out for. Diabetes caused by damage/disease/trauma/surgery to the pancreas is now categorized as Type 3c diabetes, but generally treated as Type 1 with a basal/bolus dual insulin system here in the UK.

A quick Google search suggests that Novolog is the same as FIasp which is a fast acting (bolus) insulin.
I thought novolog is the same as novorapid not fiasp. Novolog has been around for at least the 15 years I’ve been diabetic.

Maybe I misread it but the first option in the search I did, mentioned Novolog and Fiasp in the opening sentence. It was early hours so I guess I wasn't switched on enough.
Apologies for causing any confusion. I just did the quick check to be sure it wasn't a mixed insulin and was quite surprised when it came up with Fiasp but I guess if I did a search of NovoRapid it would likely bring up Fiasp too, but obviously not the same thing.

A quick Google search suggests that Novolog is the same as FIasp which is a fast acting (bolus) insulin. Do you also use a long acting (basal) insulin? If not this may be part of your problem as you only have half the tools to do the job? It sounds like you are perhaps not carb counting but just injecting a little Novolog here and there to keep your levels in check? Am I right in that assumption? Is this a common strategy in the US.... Do your brother and Dad follow a similar regime or do they have 2 separate insulins, one that is taken once or perhaps twice a day when they wake up or perhaps at bedtime and the other before each meal?

It sounds like you would really benefit from an education course like BERTIE online but I am not sure if it can be accessed from outside the UK. You can however learn most of what you need to know here on this forum, because I have.

How many finger prick tests do you average in a day to manage your levels? If you are having to test a lot, you will find a sensor like Libre or Dexcom, a huge benefit. It is so quick and convenient and having alarms on it means that you can be forewarned of your levels dropping or going high and take action before it causes you problems. The system has it's limitations and you need to learn about those, but it really has been a game changer for most of us in improving our diabetes management and quality of life.

Gall bladder problems and inflammation/disease of the pancreas/pancreatitis often go hand in hand, so it might be something to bear in mind and the discomfort you describe seems to be in that area. Are you losing weight at all or having issues with bowel movement. The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes so if it is compromised, stools can become loose and smell bad and oily/greasy and you lose weight because your body cannot extract the nutrients from your food..... so those would be signs to look out for. Diabetes caused by damage/disease/trauma/surgery to the pancreas is now categorized as Type 3c diabetes, but generally treated as Type 1 with a basal/bolus dual insulin system here in the UK.My brother follows

Gall bladder problems and inflammation/disease of the pancreas/pancreatitis often go hand in hand, so it might be something to bear in mind and the discomfort you describe seems to be in that area. Are you losing weight at all or having issues with bowel movement. The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes so if it is compromised, stools can become loose and smell bad and oily/greasy and you lose weight because your body cannot extract the nutrients from your food..... so those would be signs to look out for. Diabetes caused by damage/disease/trauma/surgery to the pancreas is now categorized as Type 3c diabetes, but generally treated as Type 1 with a basal/bolus dual insulin system here in the UK.
The Novolog that I'm taking is a long acting 30/70 mix. Kicks in at the half hour and then 3 hours later. My brother has the same but also has a fast acting for times when the reading is very high. My Dr. (GP) said he'd prescribe the same for me after an office visit and then he went on sabbatical. I try to test very frequently, at least six times a day. Some days I manage quite well and other days I fall short. Insurance will pay for three test strips a day. That's neither here nor there as I can purchase them online and they're not out of reach financially. That's just an aside that's interesting, and a little disappointing, to me.

I was diagnosed with inflammation after my endoscopy and colonoscopy. The gastroenterologist didn't mention pancreas or gall bladder but I'm going to make an appointment to discuss that with him. I've always had issues with bowel movement. Constipation is an issue. I was underweight when diagnosed but I'm at a healthy weight now and not losing any weight. I'm feeling a bit bloated so your comment about digestive issues really resonates with me. I'm eating smaller amounts and being very conscious of eating "clean". I'm usually very good about that anyway but the bad stuff tends to creep in on the weekend.

I have a similar thing under right rib. I don’t describe it as pain more like a pressure. Like something is sticking under it.

I’ve also had a camera down there and nothing was found. I have LPR and suffer with lower and upper tummy pains rather a lot.

A couple of things to think about in that area are gallbladder issues and reflux disease but also hiatus hernias can be sliding, so not always visible on investigation. Also is there a timing to your pain and how does it correspond to eating? Gut motility , SIBO and PH testing can all be useful but I know how frustrating it can be for get the right attention (and expensive)

Tummy troubles can really mess with your life but keep pushing for answers because most things can be helped these days and you don’t have to live like that (she says with a hot water bottle in her tummy :rofl: )

Last edited:
Really surprising that you and your brother are still on mixed insulin. I think we tend to assume that the USA is cutting edge with stuff and particularly medical treatment but I guess there will be a range of treatment options depending upon your insurance cover and location rather than a standard level like there is here in the UK... even if some people have to battle to get that standard of care.
I think if you are mostly getting readings between 7 and 9 on a mixed insulin you are probably doing really well. I very much doubt I could manage that Having separate basal (long acting) and bolus (quick acting) insulin allows you to fine tune things to your own body's needs a bit more as well as enabling more flexibility in your diet and lifestyle and also makes managing illness a lot safer and now Type 1s all have the option of CGM which is a major step forward.

Really sorry to hear you are struggling with abdominal discomfort and bowel issues. It's awful when you feel uncomfortable and bloated. My other thought is that perhaps you might be coeliac. As you no doubt know, Type 1 is an autoimmune condition and unfortunately autoimmune conditions are gregarious and like to meet up and party in the same body, so if you have one autoimmune condition you are at risk of developing others and coeliac is also autoimmune. Have you tried going gluten free to see if that helps things. Not an easy route I know, but perhaps something else to consider.

My digestive system has improved enormously since I went low carb, (I am not gluten free but I have dramatically reduced the amount of grain/flour products in my diet) but I also use a fibre supplement (chia seeds and psyllium husk) and my daily visit has become the best it has probably ever been in my life whereas before diagnosis and changing my diet, I was going 2-4 times a day and let's just say it was not "satisfying" or comfortably productive. 🙄 I also save on toilet paper now going just once a day!😉 Sorry TMI but sometimes it really helps to discuss these things.

Anyway, I just thought I would make comment about those things in case any of it was useful to you or worth trying to see if you can improve things through dietary changes. I have been amazed at how many health issues that I was dealing with improved when I went low carb, from my acute migraines stopping completely to much less joint pain, to happier gut and better skin... so in some respects I have a lot to thank my diabetes diagnosis for as I never would have changed my diet without it.

I have a similar thing under right rib. I don’t describe it as pain more like a pressure. Like something is sticking under it.

I’ve also had a camera down there and nothing was found. I have LPR and suffer with lower and upper tummy pains rather a lot.

A couple of things to think about in that area are gallbladder issues and reflux disease but also hiatus hernias can be sliding, so not always visible on investigation. Also is there a timing to your pain and how does it correspond to eating? Gut motility , SIBO and PH testing can all be useful but I know how frustrating it can be for get the right attention (and expensive)

Tummy troubles can really mess with your life but keep pushing for answers because most things can be helped these days and you don’t have to live like that (she says with a hot water bottle in her tummy :rofl: )
Emma, thank you for posting. That is it exactly....like something is sticking under there. If I could only adjust it you know? Like when your sock is bunching up in your boots. Pain comes about if I eat fatty foods and nuts especially. What is SIBO and what is the test for gut motility and ph testing. LPR?? I'm in the states and some of the terms I'm seeing on this site are new to me.

Really surprising that you and your brother are still on mixed insulin. I think we tend to assume that the USA is cutting edge with stuff and particularly medical treatment but I guess there will be a range of treatment options depending upon your insurance cover and location rather than a standard level like there is here in the UK... even if some people have to battle to get that standard of care.
I think if you are mostly getting readings between 7 and 9 on a mixed insulin you are probably doing really well. I very much doubt I could manage that Having separate basal (long acting) and bolus (quick acting) insulin allows you to fine tune things to your own body's needs a bit more as well as enabling more flexibility in your diet and lifestyle and also makes managing illness a lot safer and now Type 1s all have the option of CGM which is a major step forward.

Really sorry to hear you are struggling with abdominal discomfort and bowel issues. It's awful when you feel uncomfortable and bloated. My other thought is that perhaps you might be coeliac. As you no doubt know, Type 1 is an autoimmune condition and unfortunately autoimmune conditions are gregarious and like to meet up and party in the same body, so if you have one autoimmune condition you are at risk of developing others and coeliac is also autoimmune. Have you tried going gluten free to see if that helps things. Not an easy route I know, but perhaps something else to consider.

My digestive system has improved enormously since I went low carb, (I am not gluten free but I have dramatically reduced the amount of grain/flour products in my diet) but I also use a fibre supplement (chia seeds and psyllium husk) and my daily visit has become the best it has probably ever been in my life whereas before diagnosis and changing my diet, I was going 2-4 times a day and let's just say it was not "satisfying" or comfortably productive. 🙄 I also save on toilet paper now going just once a day!😉 Sorry TMI but sometimes it really helps to discuss these things.

Anyway, I just thought I would make comment about those things in case any of it was useful to you or worth trying to see if you can improve things through dietary changes. I have been amazed at how many health issues that I was dealing with improved when I went low carb, from my acute migraines stopping completely to much less joint pain, to happier gut and better skin... so in some respects I have a lot to thank my diabetes diagnosis for as I never would have changed my diet without it.
Hmmm...a lot to think about. I have a friend who went gluten free and saw no change for six months and then suddenly everything changed for the better. I used psyllium years ago after a surgery and it was great but now it has a weird opposite effect for me. No action in the bathroom and bloated tummy. I'm a weird physical specimen but cutting way back on carbs does naturally reduce gluten so I'll give it a go. You're correct about things being very dependent on location here. The medical community in Boston is unparalleled. Life saving, cutting edge, can't say enough good things. Here in NJ it's a gamble.

Have you had your liver profile blood test done recently especially when pain is flaring? Other than gallstones and pancreatitis which give me similar pain but if my liver is playing up I get pain under my ribs at times.

Emma, thank you for posting. That is it exactly....like something is sticking under there. If I could only adjust it you know? Like when your sock is bunching up in your boots. Pain comes about if I eat fatty foods and nuts especially. What is SIBO and what is the test for gut motility and ph testing. LPR?? I'm in the states and some of the terms I'm seeing on this site are new to me.
Yep that’s how I feel all of the time, plus I’m constantly hiccuping lol. Sibo is small intestinal bacteria overgrowth, that tested by a breath test. Gut motility I think they make your swallow something and kinda watch what it does and ph testing is a test for acidity or lack of it by way of dangling something in your throat I believe, which sounds horrid. I’m not entirely sure what it all involves. I’ve been offered all of these tests but at a hefty price, so been putting it off. NHS here will just prescribe PPI and be done with you. LPR is more commonly known as silent reflux. So doesn’t have the traditional acid burning in the chest but can cause respiratory and digestion problems all the same.

Have you had your liver profile blood test done recently especially when pain is flaring? Other than gallstones and pancreatitis which give me similar pain but if my liver is playing up I get pain under my ribs at times.
Thank you. I will request that specifically when I go for blood work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back