Stockings !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladys

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hello Everyone

In my minefield of medical symptoms one of the things picked up is oedemia - not heard of it before. Consultant suggested compression stockings may help. So, does anyone else wear these. I would imagine they need to be a particular size. Can your g.p. practice tell you what size by nurse measuring you. Where do you get them. Any information would be helpful.

Thankyou

Gladys

Hello Everyone

In my minefield of medical symptoms one of the things picked up is oedemia - not heard of it before. Consultant suggested compression stockings may help. So, does anyone else wear these. I would imagine they need to be a particular size. Can your g.p. practice tell you what size by nurse measuring you. Where do you get them. Any information would be helpful.

Thankyou

Gladys
You can get them from Amazon and there is usually a size chart and you can get them in different degrees of compression. They do often come up rather snugger than the size suggests.
You can get different lengths either up to the knee or from mid foot to mid thigh.

Oedema? It means swelling due to fluid. Often (which it sounds like here if compression stockings are recommended) it is due to something causing difficulties in your body returning all the fluid that leaks out of the capillaries (to transport glucose to cells etc) back to the veins and then up to the heart.

Compression stockings can be prescribed. If you don't have free prescriptions (I'm not sure whether you are on any medications for your diabetes to be entitled to those? Or eligible for other reasons?) then there is a separate prescription charge for each stocking. The size can either be picked by things like weight/dress size or by actual measurements of thigh and calf if I recall correctly.

Generally I believe it is recommended to use the thigh length ones when there are for active problems with oedema. For those using them as a preventative (e.g. against the risk of blood clots) there is a scoring method to determine whether thigh length or knee length is most appropriate

Perhaps it would be worth calling the Diabetes UK helpline who may be able to offer some suggestions? The number is at the top of each forum page and the Helpline is open 9-6 Monday-Friday.

I'm not sure if additional precautions would be wise for people with diabetes? But I know it can be tricky to get access to podiatry services :(

Did your Consult result in a letter or report bring written? If so that report would normally include an instruction asking your GP to prescribe the stockings AND when they should be worn.

The when is relevant and important. There are 3 schools of thought within medical professionals, particularly Consultants:

that they should be worn 24 hrs per day, particularly while bedridden in hospital.

that they should be worn only at night, when static and horizontal - and your leg muscles are not helping the return of fluids 'uphill'

or only worn by day, when active and generally vertical, to provide additional support to the many sphincter muscles in your legs that stop fluid from falling into your feet and fluid accumulating from the effect of gravity.

A few years ago I had varicose vein surgery and during a pre-op assessment by the Surgeon who did the op, he told me to wear stockings by day only and arranged for them to be prescribed. The Pharmacist wrote on the packaging by day - in accordance with the Consultant instructions. A couple of weeks later I had the surgery under a general anaesthetic and shortly after was visited by his Surgeon colleague, who (in the presence of the ward sister) told me to wear stockings at night only for the next fortnight. This was implemented by the Hospital and written into my discharge paperwork.

Once home, I checked my original paperwork and confirmed I had totally contradictory instructions; I wasn't going mad!. I phoned the Ward, explained the contradiction, and got a call back from a different ward sister saying that a check had been made with the Consultant (unnamed) and definitely should be at night only. I met the original Consultant a couple of months later (who had said by day only and who had done the actual Surgery). He laughed and said there were different views on this depending on where someone was originally trained. I didn't laugh and pointed out that they didn't seem to know what was actually appropriate and this was less than professional! He was pleasantly apologetic and pointed out that I was generally very fit, did a lot of sport and so wasn't particularly vulnerable to this problem. I left, still confused!

Compression stockings can be very uncomfortable if too tight, most pharmacists will measure you to confirm the correct length as well as for calf diameter. I have a few pairs still, after various periods in hospital in the last 3yrs - marked as different sizes! The measuring was clearly not very consistent! Often compression stockings can neither be put on nor taken off by yourself on your own - they are intentionally tight and constricting. I got cramp in my calf last June while in Hospital for 3 weeks after emergency surgery and not only was the pain excruciating it was the middle of the night and my call buzzer had fallen off my bed. Not fun!

Most nurses will tell you when they should be worn in accordance with what they were themselves last told - with relatively little understanding of what YOUR stockings are intended to do for YOU. I would advise you to check specifically with the Consultant about what he/she wants to achieve for YOU and thus when they must be worn. My experience from last June made me realise that there is still a lot of contradiction within Health Care Professionals (HCPs) about when compression stockings are really needed and measuring is very subjective.

Last edited:
Several years ago, I remember the NYT advising readers to wear compression stockings during long-haul aeroplane flights and long bus journeys. As I recall, it wasn't directed at readers suffering any particular medical problem, but rather just general advice to minimise the risk of thrombosis.

You can get them from Amazon and there is usually a size chart and you can get them in different degrees of compression. They do often come up rather snugger than the size suggests.
You can get different lengths either up to the knee or from mid foot to mid thigh.
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. The vascular consultant's letter to my g.p. is brief stating my problem is not vascular, that I have bilateral lower limb symptoms, with oedema affecting both limbs, that I may well benefit from wearing compression hosiery to improve symptoms. I will send an econsult to g.p. to follow up more on this. What you have all written is helpful re what to say to my g.p. I do get free prescriptions so would be good if they can be prescribed. Main goal is getting right type and knowing when and how long to wear them for. Once again, thank you everyone. Gladys

Perhaps it would be worth calling the Diabetes UK helpline who may be able to offer some suggestions? The number is at the top of each forum page and the Helpline is open 9-6 Monday-Friday.

I'm not sure if additional precautions would be wise for people with diabetes? But I know it can be tricky to get access to podiatry services :(
I had issues when I had surgery with compression socks, I later found out that I was T2 and maybe the problems highlighted a degree of neuropathy that was already there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back