Still prediabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilly6364

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I've been advised that I don't need another test for a year, surely it would be better to have a test every 6 months. I only found that out when I had a blood test for my thyroid as I asked the nurse what the result was - 42.

I've been advised that I don't need another test for a year, surely it would be better to have a test every 6 months. I only found that out when I had a blood test for my thyroid as I asked the nurse what the result was - 42.
That would not be uncommon but if you want to keep track yourself then getting a blood glucose home test monitor would give you the confidence you are keeping on message and enable you to take action if things drift.
Inexpensive one can be bought on line, the GlucoNavil is one with the cheapest test strips.

If you want to know your A1c between tests, the MonitorMyHealth tests are very reasonably priced. They are done from a finger prick sample, which you mail off for testing in an NHS lab:

I've just linked to their menu of tests so that you can see what they do. I regularly use them for my thyroid which is "challenged".

With a score of 42 you are literally on the threshold for pre-diabetes, so some modest changes could make a big difference. If you trim back on the carbs a bit, I'd be hopeful you might drop out of the pre-diabetes zone.

If your thyroid is right off key that could also be impacting on your blood sugars a bit, but in most cases dietary tweaks could return best results.
(Obviously my assessment is very general and not specific to you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back