Still in two minds about asking for a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Got my hospital appointment on Tuesday. Still in two minds about asking about a pump. After having had loads of problems with BGs going up during the night because of the gastroparesis. Now had five hypos in the last seven nights since I started eating less because my bgs are lowering rapidly from 3am to 7am because my stomach is emptying too much. I just can't predict what is going to happen when

Purely down to the unpredictability of your digestive condition, I think you should ask for one, you shouldn't have any problem getting the nod, as your life style is actually being effected.........but most importantly it would help with the blood sugars.....

What concerns do you have about the pump?

Thank you. I think my main concern about the pump is that at the moment my health problems are all getting on top of me. I'm worried that having the pump to think about as well might feel like just one thing too much. The other issue is that I don't know if I've got the energy to "fight" for a pump - my consultant doesn't seem to think that I have a problem because most HBA1Cs have been good - he doesn't think thE erratic bgs are a problem.........and he does know about diabetes, he has had books published about diabetes

Thank you. I think my main concern about the pump is that at the moment my health problems are all getting on top of me. I'm worried that having the pump to think about as well might feel like just one thing too much. The other issue is that I don't know if I've got the energy to "fight" for a pump - my consultant doesn't seem to think that I have a problem because most HBA1Cs have been good - he doesn't think thE erratic bgs are a problem.........and he does know about diabetes, he has had books published about diabetes

I would try writing up a list of pros and cons, and also thinking of counter-arguments for the reasons that might be given to say you wouldn't qualify. You've got nothing to lose by asking about it in my (humble!) opinion, and I personally think you would benefit hugely because of the ability to adjust basal and also give yourself boluses and corrections at the press of a button instead of the rather crude method of injecting. Also, coupled with your Dexcom you would have two very good tools to help you with what is clearly a very difficult problem. I'm always struck by how so many pumpers, or parents of pumping children, say how much better they feel on the pump even if it is not readily apparent in the BG readings - that subtle control seems to help in a way you can't experience on injections.

Why not contact Input and ask their advice?

http://www.input.me.uk/

🙂

Alan you're right I have got nothing to lose by asking, thank you. I guess the biggest reason that I would benefit from one is because of my increasing fear of Hypnos - especially after last year when it took two hours to get my BG above 3.2. Thank you for helping me to "talk" this through

You'll right in a pump is quite a learning curve to start off with, but would it be the straw that breaks the camel's back coping with your other problems...

Hard to tell, but if your ability to cope is shaken by the frustrations of trying your hardest with MDI and when it doesn't pan out, you feel like you'll failing etc.. Perhaps because you focus on the pump's learning curve with a mindset that you going to fail a bit due to having to learn might lessen the over all pressure of coping with all that's on the plate...

It's a shame that CGM funding isn't easier to get, in your case combining one of these with a pump you would gain a lot of benefits, such as knowing which why your BG is heading, so you can adjust your pump accordantly, overnight you can program it to alarm if your BG's reach certain points high or low, that needs addressing,

But I would say ask, as said you've got nothing to lose and it's worth exploring it all, and the benefits it can bring

You have nothing to lose in giving a pump a go Amanda, you can always go back to MDI if pumping is not for you......I doubt if hardly anyone ever does though! I am sure with your circumstances you are a great candidate for one and am sure you will reduce your hypos and improve your control........it is not difficult to get used to by the way...a couple of days and I was confident with mine. 🙂

Pumps

Hi there, I have been on a pump for two years now and although my levels aren't always perfect they have certainly improved. I was having very bad highs and lows in the past and ended up at the hospital on numerous occasions. With lots of support and help from the diabetic team I am now able to control things myself and without the pump I think I would have been in hospital again. It may seem daunting at first but it sounds like its the best option for you and you can always go back if it doesn't work out. Good luck.

I say go for it I had the same problum as you ups and down all the time mostley through night had lows most of my Diabetic life.
On;ly been on the pump since Jan. but I am a lot better think its great now lows now for nealy 2 weeks and only had 2 before that know when I go down to 4.0 so you go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back