Still a bit confused, testing & levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoj

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning All,
so I’ve spent the last week testing my levels, so I do my fasting level .
Then I’ll do just before I eat , and two hours after I eat .
But I’ve read that, you(me) need to test one hour after food .
I know we are all different, but what levels should I be aiming for, I found the following but it’s from 2009

Fasting............................Under 6
One hour after meals......Under 8
Two hours after meals....Under 6.5

Once I’ve got some more figures, can I some feedback from more experienced folks ?
Thanks in advance
Joe

Morning All,
so I’ve spent the last week testing my levels, so I do my fasting level .
Then I’ll do just before I eat , and two hours after I eat .
But I’ve read that, you(me) need to test one hour after food .
I know we are all different, but what levels should I be aiming for, I found the following but it’s from 2009

Fasting............................Under 6
One hour after meals......Under 8
Two hours after meals....Under 6.5

Once I’ve got some more figures, can I some feedback from more experienced folks ?
Thanks in advance
Joe
I'd go with the targets suggested by Diabetes UK generally, down the bottom of the page in this link: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing

I'd also bear in mind that these are just general targets.

And also: what's actually most important clinically for a T2 generally is your average BG over the course of a day. How high you might briefly "spike" is generally not important, despite what you might see on the Internet - what's important is how much time you spend at elevated levels.

The reason why a 2 hour post-eating read is generaly recommended, eg in the Diabetes UK guidance linked above, is that it's a rough & ready indication of whether you are spending long periods with elevated BG. A one-hour reading is less meaningful - eg plenty of non-diabetics can briefly "spike" above 10 mmol/L an hour after eating, and it doesn't matter that they do; but not many will frequently be above 8.5 at the two hour mark.

I think many people follow a general guide that no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase as a result of your meal and aiming at no more than 8.5 mmol/l post meal. This gives a more realistic target when your level may well be above 8.5mmol/l early on following diagnosis so to find what meals are suitable is more useful and then if those are in that range overall levels should gradually come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back