Stigma, traditional beliefs deny diabetic children care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is tea break and the children reach for their school bags and remove small gadgets which they later refer to as glucometers.

Without fear they prick their fingers on their own. The sight of seeing young children some as little as eight years prick themselves makes my blood cold.

“I carry my glucometer to school and wherever I go because I have to check my blood sugar level before meals to ensure it is check; not too high or too low,” explains a small girl of about eight years.

Those whose blood sugar is very low inject themselves on the thighs and stomachs as medication to raise it. ***

Their thighs and stomachs are full of dark patches and some have small scars.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/656119-stigma-traditional-beliefs-deny-diabetic-children-care.html

*** I really hope they don't inject to raise their blood sugar levels! 😱

Injecting glucagon would raise blood glucose levels, but that's usually done by someone else, when person's very low blood glucose levels cause impaired consciousness.

Tough for children with type 1 diabetes in UK, but sounds even tougher in Uganda.

Injecting glucagon would raise blood glucose levels, but that's usually done by someone else, when person's very low blood glucose levels cause impaired consciousness.

Tough for children with type 1 diabetes in UK, but sounds even tougher in Uganda.

Yes, it's clear they have got the 'low vs. high' totally the wrong way around, which is such a shame given there are only two possibilities. :(

I see the Noval No Disik Company are supplying the glucometers.

That's funny cos there's a Danish company not unlike that name, who produce insulin, not meters.

And the picture of the lad testing looks amazingly like an Aviva Nano and the pot of strips is indeed from jolly old Accu-Chek.

Still perhaps it's a collaboration between Acc You Checkit and Noval No Disik Company ?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back