Steve Field of NHS Commissioning Board: 'We need to help the poorest fastest'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The man charged with tackling health inequalities at the NHS plans to lobby ministers on smoking and alcohol.

Steve Field has been best known until now as the chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners, and as leader of the NHS Future Forum, an advisory group that David Cameron convened in 2011 when Andrew Lansley's NHS shakeup became a political liability. That same upheaval in England's NHS has led to the Birmingham GP getting a key role in the new set-up ? as deputy national medical director of the new NHS Commissioning Board with a particular brief to tackle health inequalities.

His passion for the subject is obvious. "I grew up on a council estate in the Black Country. I wanted to go into medicine because I thought I could do something about the health of poor people in particular. That's been the driving factor through my career. To have a free rein within the NHS to challenge and help people address health inequalities is a dream job for me. These inequalities represent social injustice," says Field.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/19/steve-field-nhs-health-inequalities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back