Steroids and bgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just had steroid injection in my wrist for my carpal tunnel. Really surprised how much my wrist is hurting now, hoping it will calm down soon.
I forgot to ask if it was likely to affect my bgs. I know oral steroids tend to push bgs up but no idea if targeted steroid injections do the same, anyone know???

(may be slow in replying by the way, typing is proving tricky!)

Generally, localised steroids (whether injected into joints or inhalers or skin creams) have far less systemic effects than tablets. So, any effects on your blood glucose levels should be minimal. But, the stress and pain of the injection into your wrist might have an effect. Hope it eases soon, though. Often careful positioning with a chair arm rest, cushion / pillow etc can help improve comfort.

I had a steroid injection in my arm a month or so ago and the GP warned me that my BG levels would go up which they did but only for a few days then they settled back down.

I think it depends on the type of steroid - I'm undergoing some treatment at the moment which involves steroid injections and I am always being told by my care team that if the nurse/doctor says steroid, say diabetic. As I understand it some can push bg's up for longer than others?

I had a steroid injection 2 months ago for my acute tennis elbow - doc said levels might go up, and to watch in case. However didn't really affect me, and the injection worked!!

I hope the injection has worked and your sugar levels were normal/not too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back