Steroid injection and blood sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

100cas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, due to a rheumatoid arthritis flare up I’ve had to have an intramuscular steroid injection (not a localised one in a joint). I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this in terms of how quickly blood glucose levels started to rise post the injection and also how many days/ weeks the rise lasted for?

Hi there @100cas , thank you for putting this question to the group. I hope someone with relevant experience will come back to you soon. It might be an idea to put this question to your pharmacist too. As a clinical professional, they should be able to shed some light on the situation

I think @Pumper_Sue may have experience of steroid injections and I seem to recall someone mentioning they had raised levels for at least 11 days. I think @Pattidevans had one a few months back so may also be able to offer her account of the experience, although I believe that was into a joint.... could be wrong though.

Thanks @Thomas DUK i asked the question when I received the injection and was told it could be “days, weeks, months”…

@rebrascora great thank you for this info, 11 days at least gives a ball park (appreciating that we are all different). My fairly random 30% increase in basal is holding me steady so far.

Thanks @Thomas DUK i asked the question when I received the injection and was told it could be “days, weeks, months”…
These things do tend to be very individual, no one can predict how your body will respond

Update incase anyone comes across this in the future after having a steroid jab - the blood glucose rise was pretty instant (within 1-2 hours) and lasted for 5/6 days for me. This obviously affects different people very differently so will most likely not be the same for you.

Back to normal now thankfully and also was able to keep on top of the higher levels from the start so actually found it not too bad (I say that as I’ve turned down the steroid jabs in the past due to the fear of high blood sugars, but I was in an awful lot of pain this time so I am glad I had it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back