Stepping Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi! Diabetes is one of those things you can never forget about as you are reminded of it every time you eat. Also over the years it may cause some nasty side effects. One of the things that can help people to cope is a sense of humour. Yesterday I put up a joke. Although fairly mild a number of people objected because it was non-PC and the moderators deleted the thread. In no way can I imagine how they would cope with the ?gallows? humour of many front line medical staff who use it as one of their "coping mechanisms". I have now had time to think about this and discuss it with a friend of mine. As a result I have decided to take a step back from this forum for a while ? or, maybe, even longer! There were three things I had intended to post; one very positive and another a highly relevant poll. Talking it through with my friend we decided that although it raised an important issue the PC brigade would want the poll removed.

Have a Happy Christmas and All the Best for 2011!

Can't possible comment on the content of the joke as I never seen it, but do re-consider your decision to leave and continue to contribute to the forum. Toby.

Hi Falcon - I didn't see the joke either so can't comment, but I have enjoyed many of your interesting posts, so please don't be too hasty. Maybe take a break but don't stay away too long?

The only joke I seen that a few made clear they didnt find funny was the one about the dyslexia, man walked into a bra and all that.............

I really hope it wasnt that joke your reffering too, because it was funny, if it offended people then I believe they need to step back as the real world is full of much worse........

Hope to see you back soon falcon........................

Hi! Diabetes is one of those things you can never forget about as you are reminded of it every time you eat. Also over the years it may cause some nasty side effects. One of the things that can help people to cope is a sense of humour. Yesterday I put up a joke. Although fairly mild a number of people objected because it was non-PC and the moderators deleted the thread. In no way can I imagine how they would cope with the ?gallows? humour of many front line medical staff who use it as one of their "coping mechanisms". I have now had time to think about this and discuss it with a friend of mine. As a result I have decided to take a step back from this forum for a while ? or, maybe, even longer! There were three things I had intended to post; one very positive and another a highly relevant poll. Talking it through with my friend we decided that although it raised an important issue the PC brigade would want the poll removed.

Have a Happy Christmas and All the Best for 2011!

Are you suggesting that we cannot object to anything you post, but you can object to someone that disagrees with something you post :confused:
Its a sad thing if you have to consult a friend and act on his advice before you post on this forum....Please remember freedom of choice, something you might consider funny, might upset another person for reasons unknown to you

I objected. I am not part of the PC Brigade but thought your post was offensive towards people with dyslexia.
I have seen first hand how a dyslexic child is bullied and has their confidence lowered. They dread going to school unless adults understand and support them they are in a lonely place.. As they get older the workplace can also be daunting and form filling and writing things that most of us take for granted are a hurdle for them. Over time they do compensate with higher than average oral skills but that worry about how they are perceived when it comes to the written word is always with them. Thank goodness for the internet and spell checker.
I would object to jokes about mental health, sexuality, race and sexist and ageist jokes leave me cold.
We are all different in what we perceive as humour and there is no need to throw your toys out of the pram because others do not agree with you.

Sorry you feel this way Falcon,I guess like i said yesterday a joke goes beyond a joke when one does not find it funny...Hope you reconsider as it sounds abit trivial to leave this forum over it.

As a result of this disagreement the post was deleted as I am aware........

If infact we are all to share our opinions freely and accept everyones different, which might I add, doesnt happen here from time to time, then surely seeing the joke and moving on is the action take......

I didnt see how it panned out but no doubt falcon was told how discrageful it was and subsequently ganged up on by several memebers.....

the joke only made reference to spelling ability, which is not what dyslexia is all about........

My opinion is, let us all speak freely within the permissable rules of the site, thats what makes this site and good for everyone...

novorapidboi26;182837 I didnt see how it panned out but no doubt falcon was told how discrageful it was and subsequently ganged up on by several memebers..... [/QUOTE said:
If you did not see how it panned out then how can you say that ?
Im sure a mod will either come in and enlighten us or maybe it was dealt with between a mod and falcon.

As a result of this disagreement the post was deleted as I am aware........

If infact we are all to share our opinions freely and accept everyones different, which might I add, doesnt happen here from time to time, then surely seeing the joke and moving on is the action take......

I didnt see how it panned out but no doubt falcon was told how discrageful it was and subsequently ganged up on by several memebers.....

the joke only made reference to spelling ability, which is not what dyslexia is all about........

My opinion is, let us all speak freely within the permissable rules of the site, thats what makes this site and good for everyone...

I completely agree with you - the strength of this site is its very supportive nature please let that continue.

If you did not see how it panned out then how can you say that ?
Im sure a mod will either come in and enlighten us or maybe it was dealt with between a mod and falcon.

I didn't see how it ended but I did see how people responded..it was innocent and other members shared the humour.....I believe the decision to step back is not needed as not everyone agrees.....but were all here to give our little contributions......I feel that any real disagreements should be discussed through the PM facilitie

First of all I hope no one takes what I have written here as a personal criticism, it is just my thoughts. If you do think it is a criticism then I apologise in advance. 😱

I did not see the jokes that Falcon posted but I have just taken a look at the Joke section. Of the last five to currently have been posted I would say that two are about someone's weight; one is sexist (at the man's expense but that does not make it any less sexist); one is homophobic (I am assuming Louis on X-Factor is a bloke); and one just makes you groan ... or there are four quite funny posts and one that makes you just groan. And yet I do not see any objections to any of these posts from anyone, and rightly so - well OK maybe I will object to the one that just makes you groan but I won't ask the mods to sweep it under the carpet. 😛

The section is called 'Your jokes' and what is posted there should be taken lightly, there are not many jokes that are not at the expense of someone and those that don't tend to make you just groan. Judging from novorapidboi26's first post here I would be surprised if anyone with dyslexia would object to any jokes of this sort about them if indeed they could r... ok I won't make that obvious pun as then this may get removed. Yes bullying is a problem but this is largely an adult forum and having a sense of humour about your own condition helps many people cope with it, just look at all the posts in the more serious sections of this forum that are about diabetes and are written to make us laugh at the expense of either the author or ourselves. 😉

Falcon I do hope you reconsider, as I believe losing your input here, or indeed anyone else, will be a loss to the forum as a whole and to you too. If we don't hear from you then best wishes and good luck to you too! 😎

Hey sorry to hear this Michael, you know where we'll be in November if you fancy a pint, hope you're well, and catch up some day,

Rossi

I don't believe that Falcon was flouncing off, the original post is quite calm and considered and was politely explaining a decision not to post.

I think people are making assumptions as to why Falcon has decided not to post, and no where in the original post is there anything that says others cannot agree or post objections. There are many aspects that could have been discussed with a friend such as censoring, whether to take a break and let things calm down, possibly feeling attacked, issues with how things where handled etc - I have no way of knowing and nor does anyone else here.

I hope that Falcon returns one day as they do provide useful comments on many subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back