Stent op 'does not' cut heart attack risk for angina cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tens of thousands of NHS patients are having operations to clear their arteries in the false belief that it will cut their chance of a heart attack or even extend their life, a leading expert has warned.

Doctors are failing to tell patients that angioplasty is not a magic bullet to stop heart attacks, said consultant cardiologist Aseem Malhotra.

Each year some 30,000 people with a condition called stable angina opt to have the procedure, in which a tiny balloon is inserted into clogged arteries to help clear them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...reduce-heart-attack-risk-says-consultant.html

Thanks for the clarification Vic 🙂 I know, I keep saying 'it's from the Mail, it will be rubbish, don't post it'! 🙄

Not at all Alan, it's all educational, just a pity that this guy seems to go off and open his mouth without any kind of restraint. He's very active in the anti sugar lobby (which is kind of good, although I don't agree with a sugar tax). Just I don't know that I could trust what he says as being factual, he based his anti-statin stance on one patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back