Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Diabetic nurse was kind. Usual plan to lose weight and exercise more . Plus statins given . So if your on statins it says it’s harder to control blood sugars. I’m on10 mg so unlikely to make massive difference. Just wondered if anyone else thought good or bad .

I was on one tablet of Atorvastatin a day for only a few weeks and the results were dreadful - combined with a single tablet of Metformin.
I thought I was going to have to go into a care home.
If you begin to find yourself confused and forgetful - it could be the statin.
There were physical effects of aches and pains, but losing my mind was the most awful thing I have experienced to date.

Oh I am told that I need them and should start to take them again at once, then I recite all the problems I had back in 2016 and suddenly I don't need them after all - amazing really.

Oh I am told that I need them and should start to take them again at once, then I recite all the problems I had back in 2016 and suddenly I don't need them after all - amazing really.

Why flog a dead horse?
Doctors have way better things to use their time on,
The queue outside is endless now.
Offered - refused, patients decision, box ticked.

The effect of statins on BG is typically pretty small, often negligible - I'm on max dose rosuvastatin and I don't think it has any particular effect on mine.

Why flog a dead horse?
I was there at the nurse for diabetic check. I’ll have this for life she told me. I need to help myself she is only there to say what the bloods tell her and the rest . She advises meds she’ll note I refused metformin . As never tried a statin I felt I could not refuse. I hope my confusion leads me not to eat and not to thinking I have not. So far all I had was indigestion and a rough throat. I took it at tea time . Was tired for bed at 9 and slept well. So can’t moan yet. Never mind.

Why flog a dead horse?
No - I don't refuse the tablets - I just recite all the problems I had back in 2016, and the GP then changes their mind about my needing to take them - that is not refusing. I do it deliberately to see how much ends up on my notes - I got the same phone call in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 so the answer is pretty obvious.

Many different opinions on statins. I had no side effects on simvastatin....although my blood sugars went to top end of pre diabetic...I asked doctor to give me 6 months without statins and blood sugars now below pre diabetic.
No pressure from doctor to resume taking them.
We are all different

Many different opinions on statins. I had no side effects on simvastatin....although my blood sugars went to top end of pre diabetic...I asked doctor to give me 6 months without statins and blood sugars now below pre diabetic.
No pressure from doctor to resume taking them.
We are all different
Thank you

I was on one tablet of Atorvastatin a day for only a few weeks and the results were dreadful - combined with a single tablet of Metformin.
There were physical effects of aches and pains, but losing my mind was the most awful thing I have experienced to date.
This is what I have been given so far one dose so good

Mum takes statins without any issues, same with me. Dad can’t take any of them without debilitating side effects.

Mum takes statins without any issues, same with me. Dad can’t take any of them without debilitating side effects.
Yes we are all different and I just hope they help

This is really interesting, I didn't know statins could affect BG. I'm taking pravastatin 40mg and while my cholesterol has come down to a healthy level my BG is still high end of normal (around 7.5mmol in the mornings). I will mention this when I see the doctor this week.

Only took them for 4 months, no change in bg during that time, would know as insulin usage would go up.

Didn't have any side effects, tbh didn't expect to as majority of users dont, statins have to be one the most research drugs around & are considered safe & very effective.

From what I read the effect of statins on blood glucose is minimal and any effect can be kept in check by good dietary choices. If it allows people to have those things which are low carb, then all to the good. I know there are some people who don't tolerate some statins and some should not be taken with certain blood pressure meds.

I had the same problems. Took myself off them - that was round about 2005/6.

Hubby had awful muscle pains but no confusion (that I know of), but as soon as he came off them the muscle pain went... by that time we'd spent a fortune on accupuncture, physio etc etc.

Hubby had awful muscle pains but no confusion (that I know of), but as soon as he came off them the muscle pain went... by that time we'd spent a fortune on accupuncture, physio etc etc.
That’s a shame you had to spend so much

It was 18 months before the pain in my lower left leg went away, but that was the last side effect.
I have been told that my experience was coincidence, but all the problems happened at the same time and then either eased or disappeared over the following months - simply not logical for there to be no connection.

It was 18 months before the pain in my lower left leg went away, but that was the last side effect.
I have been told that my experience was coincidence, but all the problems happened at the same time and then either eased or disappeared over the following months - simply not logical for there to be no connection.
Coincidence , you know your own body . I really hate it when dismissed like they do not believe . I get that when I talk about metformin and Paracetamol as if I am done difficult person as these are okay with most. I have to say I take this at night when exhausted so I go to sleep and don’t have to suffer the sore throat and the rifting long, I think if taken in the morning I’d feel sick . After taken it last evening I felt I had a cold the amount I blew my nose . It subsided by the time I went to bed and not there this morning. Just after taken the tablet but that will be coincidence. I’ll not stop as not a major issue yet and have to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back