Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellySuffolk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been prescribed statins(Atorvastatin) to help with my cholesterol and I am wondering if taking these are a good thing to take being diabetic? I have read online that taking a cholesterol type supplement maybe better than taking prescribed medication.

I was on Simvastatin which pushed my blood sugars up from pre diabetic to 49
Came off with doctor approval and straight back to 40.
6 months later cholesterol high so this time trying Provastatin.
Blood tests next month so time will tell

I'm finding it a challenging balance

What's "wrong" with your cholesterol?

To be honest I can't get my head round all the elements of cholesterol..I just know it was just under 7

I take atorvastatin and it has no detectable impact on my blood glucose levels.

Statins are controversial, the arguments are hard to analyse. Some claim that it has no effect on life expectancy, one person suggested putting them in the water supply because they are so beneficial! However, stains are known to increase your blood sugar and INCREASE the risk of Diabetes, and also lower your body's production of Coenzyme Q10, which is not good. Certainly they do absolutely nothing to reverse your diabetes, they merely treat one of the symptoms. If you can reverse your diabetes then you might not need to worry too much about cholesterol anyway.

I have been prescribed statins(Atorvastatin) to help with my cholesterol and I am wondering if taking these are a good thing to take being diabetic? I have read online that taking a cholesterol type supplement maybe better than taking prescribed medication.
Diabetic Dyslipidemia, raised Total Chols, raised LDL and depressed HDL, is one of the commonest complications of Diabetes. Statins are one of the basic tools in the control of the consequences of Diabetes. So yes, to answer your question, statins are a good thing to take if you are diabetic and will soon knock your dodgy Lipid Panel into shape. As a diabetic you are locked in a battle with incipient
cardio/ heart disease and you need all the help you can get

Last edited:

Don't know what supplement your referring to but doubt it will be as effective as statin.

Statins have been around long time now & must be one of the most researched drug in recent times, they are considered safe & effective in preventing CVD, many on this forum take one without any side effects.

I use Atorvastatin and I have not noticed any impact on BG.
Also no discernible side effects, apart from much lower cholesterol.

I was taking atorvastatin before my diagnosis so who knows if it has any impact on blood glucose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back