Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bat5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve asked the forum before so apologies for going over old ground! I just can’t weigh up whether to take statins.My non hdl is 3.5 which I think is ok but the diabetic nurses would like it at 2.1, Im pleased with the result but realise that 2.1 is achievable if I take the statins.
I just cant justify taking them when I read about the pitfalls of taking them and I don’t want to change my certain aspects of my drinking & eating habits.
Open to peoples thoughts on the pros and cons.
Thanks

I started them a couple of weeks ago, and had similar thoughts. I read as much about it on reputable websites, ie charities like DUK/British Heart Foundation and the NHS, and decided that the benefits outweight the risks for me - reduced risk of heart attack and stroke, compared to risk of side effects.
The NICE guidance is to try lifestyle changes first, ie diet and exercise (I suspect I still don't exercise enough, and I love cheese and that's staying in my diet, whatever!), and I'd tried, but my cholesterol was worse than the previous year, so I bit the bullet and asked for them at my medication review.
I know you can get side effects (as you can with any other medication), but if they were bad, I'd stop taking them, and ask the GP to try a different statin. You can also ask to go on a low dose at first and see if you react badly to that. I didn't get any side effects.
They're widely taken, and the one I'm on, atorvastatin, is out of patent, so that means it's been used by people for 20+ years, as the patent only lasts for 20 years. If really bad things were going to happen, there's been 20 years of data to look at, and it's not been banned.
So, I'd say go for it, but read up first on reputable sites and decide if you're happy to give it a try and maybe stop if they don't agree with you (and discuss it with the GP).
Best wishes, Sarah

I took Atorvastatin for 5 weeks and thought that I'd have to go into a care home and was suicidal.
The problems I experienced were not even recorded on my file and I have been contacted about taking a statin again several times.
It took around 18 months for the physical aches and pains to subside and around 5 years for the mental problems, to sort themselves. I repeat - no record was made - my reaction to the medication is completely invisible to the medics.

I’ve asked the forum before so apologies for going over old ground! I just can’t weigh up whether to take statins.My non hdl is 3.5 which I think is ok but the diabetic nurses would like it at 2.1, Im pleased with the result but realise that 2.1 is achievable if I take the statins.
I just cant justify taking them when I read about the pitfalls of taking them and I don’t want to change my certain aspects of my drinking & eating habits.
Thanks

There's very few pitfalls so worry not, as Windy says all meds come with side affects mentioned in packaging but not everyone experiences them.

Thing is with statins is they have been around a long time & have to be one of the most researched drugs in modern times, opinion amount experts is they are safe & very effective at lowering cardiovascular risks & events.

Thanks
If you are happy with your results then why bother with another medication just because the DN "would like it lower".

I made the decision a while ago that what goes into my body is my decision and any medic trying to pressure me into taking meds would need some strong arguments. So far they haven't come up with any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back