Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bat5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
What’s everyone’s thoughts on taking statins for the long term management of cholesterol and type 1 diabetes.
My cholesterol is currently 3.8 and my diabetic nurse says this level is ok for a normal person but would recommend for a type 1 to take statins to lower the level.
I’m sure it’s a sensible recommendation but I’m interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
Thanks

I’m sure it’s a sensible recommendation but I’m interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
I think it's sensible to do. You'll be offered a low dose (as I take) since you're fairly low already and that should reduce the chances of side effects. And anyway the risk of side effects seems to be much lower than people fear.

I take them with no issues.
My cholesterol is where I want it to be, so I will carry on taking them.

Hi everyone,
What’s everyone’s thoughts on taking statins for the long term management of cholesterol and type 1 diabetes.
My cholesterol is currently 3.8 and my diabetic nurse says this level is ok for a normal person but would recommend for a type 1 to take statins to lower the level.
Thanks

Was in same position, cholesterol good diabetes controlled but still got offered statins, after reading around decided to take them, no side effects at all although it was low dose.

Only stopped taking them as missed few nights & didn't start them again.

No, I disagree. I don't think it's sensible. NICE says to stay below 4 if diabetic. Your body needs cholesterol for repairs and being too low can be just as harmful as being too high. Ask for your lipids breakdown and look at the various ratios. Personally I don't believe you need to do anything.

Personally, I refused the suggestion of statins as I believe that cholesterol has an important part to play in our bodies and at 4.5 I feel that is a good level for me. Added to that, I eat a low carb, high fat diet so it seems morally wrong to take a medication to counteract that. My diabetes is well controlled and my cholesterol levels have reduced slightly since I started eating more fat 3 years ago. I don't particularly like the idea of taking medication just in case. My insulin, I need. I don't believe I need the statins, but it is very much a personal choice. They like diabetics to have a total cholesterol below 4 so I am a little surprised that they offered you statins on 3.8. I do wonder if Covid and the increased risk of blood clot is behind the push with statins.

Your body needs cholesterol for repairs and being too low can be just as harmful as being too high.
Yes, the body does need cholesterol, but as I understand it the cholesterol left in the blood is what's left over after the cells have used what they need. So (unless you have a particular condition that causes very low cholesterol) I don't think there's a risk in lowering your blood LDL cholesterol too far.

I had very bad reactions to a combination of Metformin and Atorvastatin - the most dreadful was losing my memory. I thought I was headed for a care home and considered suicide.
I only took them for around 5 weeks.
There are people who make comments such as 'over half the people I operate on have below average cholesterol levels', which is concerning even if it is on Twitter.
There are reports of the elderly with higher levels of cholesterol living longer too - particularly noticeable for women, so personally I am going to decline any cholesterol lowering medication after the first run around with a statin.
Whilst I am alive, I intend to live.

No, I disagree. I don't think it's sensible. NICE says to stay below 4 if diabetic. Your body needs cholesterol for repairs and being too low can be just as harmful as being too high. Ask for your lipids breakdown and look at the various ratios. Personally I don't believe you need to do anything.

Your body makes all the cholesterol you need in your cells.
There is absolutely no benefit in then having the excess your cells can never use swilling around your blood vessels clogging then up.

I had very bad reactions to a combination of Metformin and Atorvastatin - the most dreadful was losing my memory. I thought I was headed for a care home and considered suicide.
I only took them for around 5 weeks.
There are people who make comments such as 'over half the people I operate on have below average cholesterol levels', which is concerning even if it is on Twitter.
There are reports of the elderly with higher levels of cholesterol living longer too - particularly noticeable for women, so personally I am going to decline any cholesterol lowering medication after the first run around with a statin.
Whilst I am alive, I intend to live.
This is my worry, Alzeimers runs in my family, my mum, uncle and gran all died from it, well my uncle committed suicide during a lucid moment as he didnt want to end up like his mum in a home and not knowing anyone or remembering anything. My Cholesterol is 9.4 so its incredbily high, but that was in July and I have lost nearly 3 stone since then, although my BMI is still in the overweight levels... I am waiting for the results of Fridays blood test and if its reduced it, then I will wait another 3 months after losing more weight and see if its lower etc, once it stays at a level I will monitor it but in my head 4.5 or lower then I will treat with diet ( and benecol 🙂 )

Hi everyone,
Thanks
I don’t take them. My consultant said they’re not reccomended until you’re over 40, and even then they’re only recommended if your cholesterol is over 4

Hi everyone,
Thanks
My advice is to listen to yr HCP's and not pay much attention to unqualified people posting their opinions and anecdotes on message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back