Statins & high BS levels in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanford

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Any advice appreciated. Since being diagnosed with T1 in November I have been put on statins. I took them initially in the morning and then read they are more effective in the evening.

I have started to have high BS readings in the morning and wondered whether switching the timings of the statins may be the reason.

Any advice would be welcomed

I've no idea whether taking them in the morning can raise BS. I've always taken mine before bed and never had any issues with them.

There are at least 42 factors which can affect BG levels so the chances of the statins being responsible for a notable rise in the morning is less likely in my opinion than some other factor and probably more likely to be due to a further die off of your insulin producing beta cells. If you are seeing a regular trend then it might suggest an increase in basal dose is needed, so worth discussing with your DSN. This happened to me in 3 reasonably distinct phases over a period of the first 2 years but has been stable since. I may be wrong and short of changing back to taking the statins in the morning again and seeing what happens, we can only guess.

Did anyone tell you why you should take them?

Any advice appreciated. Since being diagnosed with T1 in November I have been put on statins. I took them initially in the morning and then read they are more effective in the evening.

I have started to have high BS readings in the morning and wondered whether switching the timings of the statins may be the reason.

Any advice would be welcomed

I’ve not noticed any impact on my blood glucose for the low dose statin I take.

I would suspect it’s more likely to be Dawn Phenomenon (hormone changes overnight to ‘fire up the burners’) which I find comes and goes throughout the year.

Agree with rebrascora, could be number of reasons why your waking with higher levels & have nothing to do with statin.

As your soon to start on a pump you'll be able to deal with any bg rise more effectively once you start, reason being you can have multiple basal rates running through night & day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back