Statins for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Woo Hoo! Get chomping everyone!! 😱

NHS 'should consider giving statins to healthy people'
Thousands of heart attacks and strokes could be prevented if the cholesterol-lowering drugs, statins, were more widely prescribed, research suggests.

One of the researchers, Prof Colin Baigent, told the BBC:
"We've been taught over the years that high cholesterol is the thing that matters; you mustn't have high cholesterol. High cholesterol can lead to blocked blood vessels which cause heart attacks and stroke. But what we've actually learned is that, whatever your level of cholesterol, reducing it further is beneficial. Whatever your level of risk, the benefits greatly exceed any known hazard."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18091708

Woo Hoo! Get chomping everyone!! 😱

One of the researchers, Prof Colin Baigent, told the BBC:
"Whatever your level of risk, the benefits greatly exceed any known hazard."

Unless of course you suffer from one of the known hazards. I saw my GP last week and we agreed that I would stop taking Pravastatin as I was back to suffering very bad leg aches again. I think that's all the statins I have now tried. He didn't think the statistics were that significant to warrant me taking them.

There was an interesting comment in the story that it may not be best to treat lifestyle factors with meds.

ie. give everyone statins and they'll feel invincible, so won't try so hard to live a healthy life.

Which makes sense.🙂

Rob

High cholesterol doesn't have much to do with what you eat. You can only affect your cholesterol by about 10% through diet changes and magic yoghurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back