Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Okay I am way way confused.
My diabetic drug Empagliflozin increases cholesterol levels in the blood.
Statins increase your blood sugars.
So if I take one to lower one it raises the other and vice versa.
What helps both ?

Okay I am way way confused.
My diabetic drug Empagliflozin increases cholesterol levels in the blood.
Statins increase your blood sugars.
So if I take one to lower one it raises the other and vice versa.
What helps both ?
You have to read into all those sort of statements 'IN SOME PEOPLE', the benefits have to be weighed up against the negatives.

You have to read into all those sort of statements 'IN SOME PEOPLE', the benefits have to be weighed up against the negatives.
I agree. Statins hurt me whether it is combined with my arthritis but I am reluctant to take them.
I am not knowledgeable enough to see if the rise is okay it would appear it doesn't affect your heart that's the Empagliflozin. (Em )the statin would raise blood sugar too so how will it help me?
I wonder if anyone else needs both or when it is wise to take a statin to assist the Em rise to take a pain killer that causes one to take a laxative for constipation that will cause one to take an antiemetic for the sickness that causes and take an antidepressant because it is all too much. I am on one tablet my blood sugars were coming down with the diet before they started that and it is on the way up again. So I feel I want one tablet or one cure, not all that.
If they had left me to June as the other nurse wanted I'd have been going out more in the better weather.
I am not convinced all this is necessary but the stress is possibly causing the rise.

Atorvastation 20mg since November 2021.
Empagliflozin 25mg since September 2022.

Last tests in November:
HbA1c 39
LDL cholesterol 1.1
so if your levels are this low why do you need them ?

The levels are low because of the meds. Stop taking the meds & the levels would likely rise.
ive not taken them together and you obviously get no pain

ive not taken them together and you obviously get no pain
My current routine is Metformin in the morning, Empagliflozin, Atorvastatin, Ramipril & Semglee at bed time & no, I don't have any issues with any of them. If the statin you've been prescribed doesn't agree with you, report that to your surgery. There are numerous different versions you can try.

My current routine is Metformin in the morning, Empagliflozin, Atorvastatin, Ramipril & Semglee at bed time & no, I don't have any issues with any of them. If the statin you've been prescribed doesn't agree with you, report that to your surgery. There are numerous different versions you can try.
Ive tried Atorvastatin but stopped it. I only have 10 mg of Empagliflozin and got a bad cholesterol result. Got text late Friday so it will be Wednesday before i get back if i
do. Glad it has been good for you. i did not cope with Metformin.

Last edited:
Maybe try controlling cholesterol by changing things with diet if that is possible.
I am trying but low carb is not easy to go low cholesterol. I have not heard back from the nurse so continuing my trials but mostly errors

Last edited:
I decided not to go on a Statin for now . It is only if you want to live longer. They say it will extend life. So i guess quality over quantity is my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back