Statins and Blood Sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
With the agreement of my GP I have stopped taking my Crestor (rosuvastatin) to see if that was giving me muscle pain. I have been very surprised to see that I have had to reduce my Levemir injections from 2 injections of 85 units to the levels I was on a year ago at 2 injections of 60 units.
Has anyone else experienced this (or an increase in insulin when put on statins) as I cannot find a reference to this side effect anywhere. I suspect it might be due to the muscles not using the insulin properly.

I'm on tablets, so it will affect me differently. It is a well known side effect that some statins cause muscle pain. Because you are working to control the pain, and pain is stressfull, it stands to reason in my non medical mind you might need a little more insulin, but I am not an expert.

Oh. I never thought of the statin (I'm on 40mg Simvastatin per day) as a possible cause of some of my aches and pains, I just put it all down to high blood sugar.

Oh. I never thought of the statin (I'm on 40mg Simvastatin per day) as a possible cause of some of my aches and pains, I just put it all down to high blood sugar.

With hindsight, I had some pretty awful muscle and joint pains when I was on them - at one point I couldn't bend my knee without being in total agony. At the time though I was taking 11 different tablets and still very much recovering from my state at diagnosis, so hard to apportion blame to the statins.

I'm on simvistatin. They give as one of the side effects muscular aches and pains in the patient information leaflet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back