Statins and B.G

pippen

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
just a quick follow on from my post yesterday results down from 49 to 40, with doctors permission I came of Simvastatin for 6 months as I read they can increase B.G levels.
I can not understand all the different categories on the results page but says I need to speak to doctor so obviously cholesterol has risen
I read that prevastatin,fluvastatin and pitavastatin do not raise B.G
Doctor is calling me today to discuss.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. Most statins do increase BS levels a bit and I suspect even the other ones you mention do? Your GP may try to make the statin decision based on your total cholesterol which is not the right/best way (most GPs seem to do this). Statins should be prescribed if your various lipids ratios are not good e.g. HDL, LDL, Trigs etc. You can find the 'good' range for these on the DUK website or just Google them. The GP should also know them.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @pippen may be worth mentioning Rosuvastatin to your GP if your worried, as you have been ok
with previous statins you shouldn`t have any side affects.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hope you find a statin that suits you @pippen . Do you know what your cholesterol numbers and splits were?

pippen

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi the nurse rang me today...in words I understand..good 2 bad 4
Will do bloods again in 6 months.
Will have to cut back on cheese!,
It's incredibly hard doing the no sugar low carb and then trying to keep low fat as well.
Thank you all for the support it's much appreciated