Statins (again..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well a week of of Statins washing around my blood stream and so far so good. Nothing untoward to report.

Great to hear @Sharron1

When do you think you’ll be due follow-up a lipid panel to see how things are going?

Well a week of of Statins washing around my blood stream and so far so good. Nothing untoward to report.
That’s good news @Sharron1, I’m sure you’re very relieved.

You should also have a LFT at this time (NICE guidelines), or if the dose is changes or the type of statin changed. Yearly thereafter.
LTF. Livr function? Good idea. Thanks

LTF. Livr function? Good idea. Thanks

Actually very important or it would not be in the NICE guidelines. The first statin, Simvastatin, gave me muscle pains particularly in the shoulders to the extent that I would arrive at work and not take my jacket off for an hour or two (my manager thought I was keen) and, unless freezing, carry it home on the train. I was switched to Atorvastatin after refusing to take any more. After bypass surgery (all males on the male side died prematurely from heart attacks but this history was ignored by the same GP) it was upp'ed to 80mg but dropped back to 40mg as LFT went awry (was it student life in the early 70s 🙂 ). Only the LFT showed an issue as I had no symptoms which is why it is critically important. Although all the talk is about heart disease statins also slow down the development of PAD and I suspect I should have been on a higher dose when I started them in 2010.

Actually very important or it would not be in the NICE guidelines. The first statin, Simvastatin, gave me muscle pains particularly in the shoulders to the extent that I would arrive at work and not take my jacket off for an hour or two (my manager thought I was keen) and, unless freezing, carry it home on the train. I was switched to Atorvastatin after refusing to take any more. After bypass surgery (all males on the male side died prematurely from heart attacks but this history was ignored by the same GP) it was upp'ed to 80mg but dropped back to 40mg as LFT went awry (was it student life in the early 70s 🙂 ). Only the LFT showed an issue as I had no symptoms which is why it is critically important. Although all the talk is about heart disease statins also slow down the development of PAD and I suspect I should have been on a higher dose when I started them in 2010.
Out of interest, did you ever have your Lp(a) checked? Distinct from the lipids picked up by the standard tests, but highly atherogenic. About 15% of people have elevated Lp(a) which runs in familes & is a big risk factor for family history of early heart attacks etc.

Various cardio-renal professional bodies are advocating broad screening - you only need to do it once; it's a genetic thing, not lifestyle related.

Anyway, my cardio ordered a test for me & it'll be interesting to see the result

Last edited:
Out of interest, did you ever have your Lp(a) checked? Distinct from the lipids picked up by the standard tests, but highly atherogenic. About 15% of people have elevated Lp(a) which runs in familes & is a big risk factor for family history of early heart attacks etc.

Varoous cardio-renal professional bodies are advocating broad screening - you only need to do it once , it's a genetic thing, not lifestyle related.

Anyway, my cardio ordered a test for me & it'll be interesting to see the result

No! I asked my GP for the test as my father, uncle and grandfather (on male side) had all died prematurely of heart attacks. He refused saying it was researchy, and that my BP and cholesterol were fine! Some years later I needed bypass surgery. Before that he told me I knew more about PAD than he did. All quite disturbing really!

No! I asked my GP for the test as my father, uncle and grandfather (on male side) had all died prematurely of heart attacks. He refused saying it was researchy, and that my BP and cholesterol were fine! Some years later I needed bypass surgery. Before that he told me I knew more about PAD than he did. All quite disturbing really!
At the risk of sounding judgemental, the guy must be a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back