Statin side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was started on statins just over a week ago. Since the middle of the week I have been feeling achey and fluey - but not the muscle aches described in the pamphlet with the tablets. Now I am starting to break out in hot sweats. Last 15 - 20 minutes and then goes away for an hour or so. Has anybody had this with statins or have I caught a lurgy of my fellow commuters.

not sure if I can help much apart from advise the only side effect i have had from statins is really achy legs.

However I do have the symptons you explained and have had since Monday and yesterday broke out with a really sore throat also - so it could be something coming on.
I also noticed my levels went up around this time?

I am sure someone else will be along to advise better shortly.

It's possible you have the dreaded lurgy from some of your fellow commutors. There has been a lot of coughing and spluttering and sneezing on the trains I use. I started off with a chest infection and am now doing battle with a cold.

Keep an eye on things. The statins do cause muscle ache, but not hot sweats as far as I know, unless you are starting male menopause?

If you are having muscle aches and attribute it to statins then you should complain to your GP as a matter of urgency, read the leaflet that come with the pills.

The lurgury seems more like it now as my nose has srated to run and I have a bit of a sore throat. If I get really suspicious of the statins I will just stop them as my cholesterol is only about 4.2!

I would certainly stop them if you are 4.2 before taking them. I stopped when my aches got serious and my legs have still not recovered, unfortunately my cholesterol is 7.4.

The lurgury seems more like it now as my nose has srated to run and I have a bit of a sore throat. If I get really suspicious of the statins I will just stop them as my cholesterol is only about 4.2!

I'm surprised too that you were even put on them. My cholesterol last week was 4.5, eight months after stopping taking them. My GP wasn't the slightest bit worried about it (although I haven't told her yet that I stopped them, but should be obvious since I haven't had them prescribed for so long!).

When is your next chol test due? My main worry was that the statins were dropping my chol too low (down to 2.4 at one stage). I remember you saying that you had some 'furring' and I guess this is why you were prescribed them?

I did suffer side-effects whilst taking them, but because I was on various other stuff it was virtually impossible to attribute these to the statins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back