• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes. If you need any information regarding vaccines, they can be found here : Updates: Vaccines
  • Want to share your experiences of the coronavirus pandemic? Take our survey:Covid Healthcare Survey.

Starting my new regime

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post.
Here is an update
I am starting a basal bolus regime on Monday, to start off I will be on 15 units of trebisa and 5 units of nova rapid with each meal, with regular finger prick tests to keep an eye on things.
After a week I will report the results to my gp who is getting advised by the diabetes clinic at the hospital.
They will then get me booked in with them for training on carb counting and adjusting insulin for a more precise set up.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pleased to hear you are getting things sorted. Hope it all goes well on Monday but if you have any hiccups, we are here to give you whatever support we can. Let us know how you get on regardless.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
How has it been going so far @Martin62 ?

Always seems to involve a bit of guesswork to start with. Hopefully you are in regular contact with your Dr for dose tweaks if things are running significantly out of kilter.

Last edited:

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
How has it been going so far @Martin62 ?

Always seems to invo,ve a bit of guesswork to start with. Hopefully you are in regular contact with your Dr for dose tweaks if things are running significantly out of kilter.
Yes, its all going well at the moment, seen my levels reduce to a morr normal place.
Im in weekly contact with my Dr, and will ne attending the diabetes clinic at my hospital for carb counting etc training.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had 2 mid morning hypos this week after only a moderate but of exertion, today I was 7.1 mmol on waking , so had my jab followed 20 minutes later by my usual breakfast of porridge made with water and a black coffee, went shopping, after carrying in the shopping from the car I had the tell tell signs, so checked my levels and they were at 3.4 mmol, so had a carb rich snack , probably a bigger snack than I needed because levels went up to 10.9 mmol.
Probably need to either lower my dosage before breakfast or up my breakfast carb intake ?
I will be discussing my gp next week.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Are you weighing the oats for your porridge @Martin62 ? I see you’re on fixed doses. How were your blood sugars on the days you didn’t have hypos after breakfast?

You have a number of options to deal with this, eg having a small carby snack before shopping.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Inka, yes I have 50g of oats, and on the days I didn't have hypos my sugars went up slightly, then came back down.
The day I had my other hypo was after a brisk walk for exercise.
Other than that I am very pleased with my overall levels, they are a great improvement since starting this new regime , early days yet and probably a bit of fine tuning required ,but all in all im very pleased.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so I’d try eating some carbs before your exercise and shopping. You’ll have to experiment to see what works, but remember you can split snacks eg you can have 10g carbs before your walk, then test and have another 5 or 10g if needed, or whatever amounts are appropriate.

Before shopping, you could have a longer-lasting snack like a digestive biscuit, or perhaps a couple of glucose tablets. I find shopping makes me low, so I have 1-3 Dextro tablets and that works well.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you shop in a big supermarket - it's actually a fair bit of exercise all in all!

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so I’d try eating some carbs before your exercise and shopping. You’ll have to experiment to see what works, but remember you can split snacks eg you can have 10g carbs before your walk, then test and have another 5 or 10g if needed, or whatever amounts are appropriate.

Before shopping, you could have a longer-lasting snack like a digestive biscuit, or perhaps a couple of glucose tablets. I find shopping makes me low, so I have 1-3 Dextro tablets and that works well.
Will give that a try, thanks for the good advice

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had anyone done the Bertie online course ?

It is frequently recommended here. For many years it was a great option for people who were not able to access structured education via their clinic. Dafne has an online version too now I think.

You don’t get the group discussion element of a face-to-face course, but the information in these courses is excellent.

Well worth a few hours of your time I would say!

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There's also supposed to be something in https://mytype1diabetes.nhs.uk (I don't know what because I've not got around to registering).

If someone new can face trying two such things it would be of value to see a comparison. Maybe one's better than the other for revising, or one's better for a certain style of working with it?