Starting Mounjaro

Katie_P34

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello, after an appointment with my diabetic team yesterday, she said my sugars are perfect and I'm managing my new diagnosis really well adjusting my novarapid using carbs and calls well.
I mentioned to her that although I have changed my diet and improved my exercise and I have not lose any weight and it's concerning me. She mentioned a few options for me, tablets injections etc and we agreed on the Mounjaro. After reading about it it's mainly for type 2 diabetics. I'm a LADA diabetic. Does anyone have any response to taking it for weight loss who is being treated as a type 1 diabetic?

As I understand it, it works by suppressing your appetite, so that you want to eat less and some people mention nausea and even vomiting if they eat too much. Obviously vomiting would be a concern if you have injected insulin for a meal and then can't keep it down or have injected for a meal and then can't eat it all, so you will need to be careful about that. I think from what I have read, the first few days after each injection are perhaps when you will experience these side effects, so it may be wise to reduce your meal portions from the get go and likewise your boluses.

Personally I am not sure this is a sustainable way to treat the problem of being overweight and I believe many people put the weight back on once they stop using it, so it isn't a short fix medication but probably a lifelong commitment to it and I am not sure I would want to regularly feel nauseous after eating. Those are just my thoughts. I am not a Skinny Minnie by any means and currently carrying more weight than I should, so I can sympathise with the problem, but diet and exercise is the answer in my opinion. I know my diet has slipped too much, and either I need to exercise a lot more or be stricter with my food or both. Ultimately what this drug does is that it restricts what you eat by making you feel full quicker and perhaps even "punishes" you for eating too much or the wrong things by making you feel sick if you do eat too much. I am not necessarily saying that is a bad thing but in my eyes a bit like a training aid to train you to eat less. The problem is that when you stop the medication it is all too easy to slip back to how you ate before.
I know my body did this to me with alcohol in that I gradually developed a reaction and even a small amount of it made me feel scarily ill the next day (diarrhoea and vomiting with fever and migraine), until I realised that I simply had to give it up altogether. Very occasionally I am tempted to have the odd glass to see if it has improved/settled down and regret it the next day, so it keeps me teetotal because I am punished if I have some and this is of course how we and in fact all animals learn. With this medication once you stop using it, the side effects stop and so it is very easy to go back to the way you ate before and put the weight back on.

That is my lay woman take on it anyway. I am sorry if it is a bit negative, but definitely be careful with your bolus doses when you start it as there is nothing worse than being sick and having the scary situation of too much insulin in your system and levels dropping and being unable to keep anything down to bring you back up.

I've been prescribed Mounjaro. However, I have a history of eating problems so am hesitating to start it. I am due to discuss with my therapist on Thursday, but wondered if anyone else has had experience of Mounjaro and eating disorders? I desparately need to get on top of my blood sugars, and weight loss would be helpful, but I'm nervous.

Thank you.

Back