Starting Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, after struggling to get my blood sugar down for 18 months my diabetic nurse has suggested I go onto insulin. For the last 6 weeks I have not been below 14 at any point and usually much higher so I was quite happy about moving onto insulin.
Now I am feeling quite anxious about it.
I'm not starting for a week as I need an appointment with the nurse to go through it with me and can't get one until Thursday - so I think I will start it on Friday morning. Nurse said I would start with once a day (or might have said twice- can't remember!) but would move onto insulin with meals if I need it. I thought that was only Type 1 who needed that.

This has all come about after a conversation with a radiologist this week when I had a steroid injection. He told me my blood glucose could rise a bit and not to worry if it got to 10 or 12. I told him I would, be pleased if it did as I was 17 when I woke up that morning!!!

It's all very confusing but hopefully I will get my head round it.

Hopefully the insulin will help you @Caroline1967 I remember you were finding control hard. Some Type 2s take mealtime/fast/bolus insulin too, just like Type 1s do.

Don’t be too anxious. You’ll be started on a small dose and it will gradually be built up. Think about how nice it will be to have more normal blood sugars.

I take lantus 22 units once a day just remember if you drive to inform dvla I did that 12 months ago but due to my ongoing issues haven't been behind the wheel.

Hopefully the insulin will help you @Caroline1967 I remember you were finding control hard. Some Type 2s take mealtime/fast/bolus insulin too, just like Type 1s do.

Don’t be too anxious. You’ll be started on a small dose and it will gradually be built up. Think about how nice it will be to have more normal blood sugars.
Thank you Inka. It will be nice to get decent levels once in a while!

I take lantus 22 units once a day just remember if you drive to inform dvla I did that 12 months ago but due to my ongoing issues haven't been behind the wheel.
I think driving is one of the things I am worried about. I care for my elderly parents, neither of whom drive and the thought of not being able to drive is horrible!

I was diagnosed with Type 1 twenty years ago and have had no choice but to inject insulin ever since. It has never stopped me driving. Sure, I have to check my BG before I set off but that is not a big hardship compared with the value of insulin to my quality of life.

I think driving is one of the things I am worried about. I care for my elderly parents, neither of whom drive and the thought of not being able to drive is horrible!

As long as you test before and are of aware of any hypos you should fine and its to cover you legally because if you have an accident and not told them or insurance they love to not pay out.

Being on insulin doesn’t stop you driving. It just means your licence has to be renewed/reviewed every 3 years or sooner. It’s a lack of hypo awareness that would.

You should have been given insulin ages ago in my opinion. Look on this as a relief. It will be worrying and strange to start with but it soon becomes routine 🙂

Hi, after struggling to get my blood sugar down for 18 months my diabetic nurse has suggested I go onto insulin. For the last 6 weeks I have not been below 14 at any point and usually much higher so I was quite happy about moving onto insulin.
Now I am feeling quite anxious about it.
I'm not starting for a week as I need an appointment with the nurse to go through it with me and can't get one until Thursday - so I think I will start it on Friday morning. Nurse said I would start with once a day (or might have said twice- can't remember!) but would move onto insulin with meals if I need it. I thought that was only Type 1 who needed that.

This has all come about after a conversation with a radiologist this week when I had a steroid injection. He told me my blood glucose could rise a bit and not to worry if it got to 10 or 12. I told him I would, be pleased if it did as I was 17 when I woke up that morning!!!

It's all very confusing but hopefully I will get my head round it.
Hi,

In your situation, you have been given a date ahead of time to prepare and think about it (starting insulin), which can be a helpful or unhelpful position to be in, depending on how one sees it. As a type 1 myself, the first I knew about insulin was as they injected it at hospital. I literally got a call from my gp to go straight to hospital after having weeks of extreme thirst. I've honestly never looked back or given it (diabetes and insulin etc) a second thought.

Insulin is not a drug but a hormone, perfectly normal to have it in our body. The tricky part is working out how much, but this comes with trial and error, record keeping and experience. All doable in most cases.

Just keep some glucose sweets with you at all times to use if you start feeling hypo (blood sugar below 4) with symptoms such as sweating, weakness, dizzy, anxious, faint etc. A few jelly babies will help. The hospital should explain all this to you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with Type 1 twenty years ago and have had no choice but to inject insulin ever since. It has never stopped me driving. Sure, I have to check my BG before I set off but that is not a big hardship compared with the value of insulin to my quality of life.
I am sure I am over thinking it! I know I do have a choice about actually starting the insulin but my sugars have been consistently high for so long it is CV probably the best thing to do.

Hi,

In your situation, you have been given a date ahead of time to prepare and think about it (starting insulin), which can be a helpful or unhelpful position to be in, depending on how one sees it. As a type 1 myself, the first I knew about insulin was as they injected it at hospital. I literally got a call from my gp to go straight to hospital after having weeks of extreme thirst. I've honestly never looked back or given it (diabetes and insulin etc) a second thought.

Insulin is not a drug but a hormone, perfectly normal to have it in our body. The tricky part is working out how much, but this comes with trial and error, record keeping and experience. All doable in most cases.

Just keep some glucose sweets with you at all times to use if you start feeling hypo (blood sugar below 4) with symptoms such as sweating, weakness, dizzy, anxious, faint etc. A few jelly babies will help. The hospital should explain all this to you.

Good luck.
I am sure it will be fine. I do have a few days to get my head round if before I start which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back