Starting insulin - Humulin I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirl1946

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Northener for you advice it has helped
The diabetic nurse did tell me about jelly babies or lucouzade
I find theres a lot to take in all at once. they are aiming to get my fasting BS
down to 5 so I have to increase every few days until it reaches that.
Thanks again I value your advice and would appreciated info from people that are on Humulin
take care
x

Thanks Northener for you advice it has helped
The diabetic nurse did tell me about jelly babies or lucouzade
I find theres a lot to take in all at once. they are aiming to get my fasting BS
down to 5 so I have to increase every few days until it reaches that.
Thanks again I value your advice and would appreciated info from people that are on Humulin
take care
x

You're very welcome 🙂 I would say, don't be rushed into getting your levels down to 5 - it's quite an ambitious target, and I would have thought a little on the low side for a fasting level when you are new to insulin. Let things 'settle' between changes in doses so you can be sure that you are not going too low and you are getting consistent readings. I would also take a reading at bedtime if you are not already doing so, so that you can monitor the change in levels overnight. Good luck 🙂

Hi Shirl - you haven't mentioned it but you may well find changes with your eyesight as your BG levels get back to normality after being high for so long. You should not get an eye test until your levels stabilise as it would be a waste of money to keep getting new ones til then. Off the peg glasses might be ok in the short term for reading.

When I first moved to insulin no-one bothered to tell me the instantaneous effect it has. Panic stations when my first reading 2 hours after Friday dinner was just over 10 instead of 30!!!! I thought it would continue to decrease - thank goodness for 111 and the lovely Dr who rang back to explain what was happening.

Any questions and you will get a response here virtually 24/7.

Hi Pippa
My eyesight has been horrid lately but I have MS and suffer with double vision so I haven't found it much different. this insulin is scaring the hell out of me at the moment. my BG levels are all over the place especially at meal times.
my fasting is ranging from 9-11 I had one reading of 7.2 and thought great something is working, next morning it was 10.
I have been taking 8 units of Humulin1 at bedtime since last Wednesday upped it to 10 units last night, this morning my fasting was 10.4 so I was really disappointed took it 2 hrs after breakfast it was 13.6. I only had a small slice of Hovis wholemeal bread with a smearing of butter. I know its early days but I thought I would start to see some drops in my BG. my main problems are meal times where my readings are high before and after meals. I don't seem to be able to get my head around it all.. such a lot to take in.
I was diagnosed in 2006 but had been glucose impaired for a number of years before that. I never thought of getting to this stage but my system stopped tolerating the pills. I feel at a loss even at 68 yrs of age x

Hi Shirl,
Don't give up, I thought I had my BS sorted, but all of sudden I'm having high readings, I'm on Humulin1, seems I'm not eating enough, and my liver is compensating!! maybe a couple of eggs with your Hovis. Keep your chin up, you'll get there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back