Starting Freestyle Libre with smartphone is a Gotcha

Lilly

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After fitting the third sensor, and realised I had not actually started the sensor; so when I started the sensor with a smartphone, you get a message do you want to start the new sensor ? Answered Yes and started it did.

When I scanned the sensor with my Freestyle Libre(1) Reader I got the massage:
"Sensor Already in use.
The sensor you just started was started by another Reader and cannot be used with this one."

The result is that if your (or your partner's) smartphone starts your sensor, then you cannot use the reader, other than to review your history, until next time you start a new sensor this next time with the FLReader not the phone. Whereas if you start the sensor with the Reader, you can also do scans with the NFC enabled smartphone.

When using the smartphone you have to position the phone's NFC antena which seems to be only on back of phone around the camera lens, and I need to position it fairly close. I have found that a scan with the Reader is much less fussy about positioning. The phone used was the OnePlus 3 A3003.

My view is that this restriction is a software bug, and ought to be fixed.

Last edited:

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When i went for training on using the sensor, Abbot said to always start it with the reader first, then the phone. That way both can be used.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am trying to get into the habit of using my phone, as Diasend is likely to stop taking Libre data. At present it still takes it from the Reader. I am now using LibreView which automatically gets uploaded and shared with my hospital.

As you found @Lilly you have to use the reader first and then the phone if you want to use both. Like you I still find it easier to carry the reader around with me. It fits neatly in the front of my bra. This is great Wheen doing exercise.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Looks like you are stuck with reading with the phone for 2 weeks. Not a great strain, but lesson learned - always read the instructions:D

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry you got caught by this @Lilly

It is a well known ’feature’.

If I remember correctly, there was a time when phones couldn’t start sensors, bit could only ‘join in’ with sensors that had already been started by the reader - a limitation that had its own grumbles and frustrations, of course!

Lilly

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is a well known ’feature’.
well known maybe; but during lockdown Hosp were 'unable' to do group training. Result DN failed to metion. Since getting caught out I looked thro the booklet online pdf and a search found nothing.
There isn,t really any logic to the restriction - if a phone can why can't the reader be similarly programmed.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It must be somewhere in the instructions - I was an early user of the Libre system, living on the Isle of Mull, so there was no such thing as group training. I must have learned it somewhere - certainly not from experience.

I've just done a quick search and found it in bold print in the FAQs.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It must be somewhere in the instructions - I was an early user of the Libre system, living on the Isle of Mull, so there was no such thing as group training. I must have learned it somewhere - certainly not from experience.

I've just done a quick search and found it in bold print in the FAQs.
I have just remembered there are some videos on the website.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
well known maybe; but during lockdown Hosp were 'unable' to do group training. Result DN failed to metion. Since getting caught out I looked thro the booklet online pdf and a search found nothing.
There isn,t really any logic to the restriction - if a phone can why can't the reader be similarly programmed.
Ring Abbott and ask them - maybe they have a good reason!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

I agree, hopefully future versions of the reader will have a more flexible approach. Libre 2 perhaps?

As you say, it doesn’t make sense from a user perspective to be able to use both, but then not if you start with the ‘wrong‘ one.In my opinion it would have been helpful for Abbott to tweak the reader when they allowed the phone software to start readers, so only older readers (which would gradually get replaced) would have the problem.