Star Trek Hypo Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline Wilson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My grown up son is a Star Trek Deep Space Nine fan. We were watching an episode where the doctor the captain and another charecter got transported back in time to 2024.

Any way in one scene there was a lady sitting fanning herself, and the doctor was very concerned and asked if she was having 'a hypoglaecemic attack'. She said yes, there were no meters or anything to support the diagnosis, but he was supposed to be a doctor. Anyway the doctor was going to get the lady some chocolate to sort it out. A bit later he was injecting her and saying 'the glucogel will help'.

I thought what do they know about chocolate that we don't about treating a hypo...

we are still going to have hypos in 2024? that sucks.

you don't treat hypos with chocolate?

My grown up son is a Star Trek Deep Space Nine fan. We were watching an episode where the doctor the captain and another charecter got transported back in time to 2024.

Any way in one scene there was a lady sitting fanning herself, and the doctor was very concerned and asked if she was having 'a hypoglaecemic attack'. She said yes, there were no meters or anything to support the diagnosis, but he was supposed to be a doctor. Anyway the doctor was going to get the lady some chocolate to sort it out. A bit later he was injecting her and saying 'the glucogel will help'.

I thought what do they know about chocolate that we don't about treating a hypo...

Dear Caroline,

You would think that they would take more care and get it right after all it's not rocket science (no pun intended!). I am a star treck deep space nine fan, but I must have missed that episode grrr.

Warmest regards Dodger

Well if he was injecting something and/or using glucogel that would be an immediate treatment for the hypo and the choc would give a longer response to avoid a crash back to hypo, surely?

Well if he was injecting something and/or using glucogel that would be an immediate treatment for the hypo and the choc would give a longer response to avoid a crash back to hypo, surely?

I am fairly certain he was inecting and he said it was glucogel. Using chocolate to treat a hypo I was told the fat in the chocolate slows the release of the sugar, so don't use it for immediate treatment of hypo. Agree that it would be a longr term treatment to stop crashing backdow, but the lady was told to have it straight away. I'll have to borrow the DVD from my son again and re visit the scene.

It is science fiction... Teleportation isn't real, either.

OK, to be more precise, teleportation of humans isn't real.

It is science fiction... Teleportation isn't real, either.

Guess a cure any time soon and an easier means to get to work are wishful thinking on my part...

Guess a cure any time soon and an easier means to get to work are wishful thinking on my part...

I'd rather not have such an easy way to get to work to be honest!!

But for other journeys could be very handy!! get those quantom guys on it northener!!

As for cure?? Not even going to think about that, then I'd not be able to eat jelly babies!!

I was told chocolate is no good to treat a hypo as it isnt fast acting as it

takes a while for the body to break it down . If you have nothing else to

hand i suppose you would just have to go for it and eat it though 😉😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back